When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Couple More Nos Varsity's

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Prices are dropping fast without any offers coming in, at least not ones that are acceptable. I am starting to wonder about the NOS claim with the black brake cables on the chestnut bike. Being assembled and probably when they were new, these are probably low use bikes and not NOS. Looks like exposure to the atmosphere has aged the tires noticeably. Bad photos are not helping.

Can a bike that's been assembled and exposed for decades to the atmosphere out of the box be called NOS? Maybe but once those tires hit the pavement I don't think so and I think these have. These are probably $300 bikes at best.

The Chestnut one appears to have an alloy stem, alloy randonneur handlebars and quick-release brake levers (possibly from a Continental). I can also tell that the brake levers date from 1973 or earlier, and both the brake and shift cables are newer non-original replacements. Finally it appears that thicker brake cable housing was used in place of the thinner original Huret shift cable housing, which is probably the reason that a clamp-on cable stop set is being used on the top of the downtube instead of the original welded-on stops. On the other hand the yellow one does appear to be an unmolested original.

Good eye, should have caught the handlebars and brakes, they are right there in our faces. I get the feeling this is a consignment deal for this seller because those bikes are obviously in a bike shop and none of his other stuff is. Who knows, the guy has perfect feed back though. The stories on the bikes are not very convincing. I could not say what he is saying and call them NOS with a straight face.

I was repacking some wheel bearings yesterday and these bike are on my mind. I suppose if someone really wanted to figure out if these bike were ridden or not, looking at the cones should be a dead giveaway. That tell tale wear line on the cones from the ball bearings should not be there on a NOS bike. I think a wear line would develop almost instantly on the black cone with a rider aboard.

Another one. This Varsity is one of those mysterious after 82 bikes. Strange bottom bracket by Schwinn EF standards, strange wheel set. Can't make out the complete serial # . No doubt NOS. Same place as the first bike and they have another NOS Jap or whatever, Schwinn lightweight to look at.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=291717500893

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=291717504040

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Another one. This Varsity is one of those mysterious after 82 bikes. Strange bottom bracket by Schwinn EF standards, strange wheel set...

According to the non-EF bottom bracket and JUxxxxxx (Sept. '83) frame serial that appears to be one of the Murray built bikes. From what I've seen the last Chicago frames were early to mid-'83. Here is the '83 catalog page:

Schwinn_Family_83_04.jpg

I am the knucklehead That got scewed on this deal as of today what I found out the only thing original nos is the frame all the parts on this bike are all WORNG WORNG Handel bar WORNG stem WORNG derailer WORNG brakes WORNG shifters and missing a lot of parts the yellow and my chestnut bike were NOT mint NOS never used bikes the only good thing is e-bay refunded my money And I got to keep the bike as the seller wanted no part of it so now I have to deside were to go with it thinking just get new tires and ride it there nothing special About this bike it's been Frankenstein to death Miss matched parts and missing parts This guy should not be aloud to sell on eBay The only thing snice e bay refunded my money I can not give a bad feed back so this Clown Still has a 100% good feed back

Last edited:
Back