When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Couple More Nos Varsity's

-
Ya sorry this was the first time I got burned I am more ticked off now
Finding more wrong with this bike and can't belive they tried to pull this off
Going to take my time and fix this bike as it should be

I am the knucklehead That got scewed on this deal as of today what I found out the only thing original nos is the frame all the parts on this bike are all WORNG WORNG Handel bar WORNG stem WORNG derailer WORNG brakes WORNG shifters and missing a lot of parts the yellow and my chestnut bike were NOT mint NOS never used bikes the only good thing is e-bay refunded my money And I got to keep the bike as the seller wanted no part of it so now I have to deside were to go with it thinking just get new tires and ride it there nothing special About this bike it's been Frankenstein to death Miss matched parts and missing parts This guy should not be aloud to sell on eBay The only thing snice e bay refunded my money I can not give a bad feed back so this Clown Still has a 100% good feed back

Well if you got it for nothing except some frustration, that ain't bad. Wish I could say that on some of my deals that turned bad after the fact because of misrepresentation. As far as I know ebay will extract that refund money from the seller one way or another so it's a total loss on the sellers part. Maybe he was ignorant to the facts, no need to grind him into the pavement all things considered.

Another one. This Varsity is one of those mysterious after 82 bikes. Strange bottom bracket by Schwinn EF standards, strange wheel set. Can't make out the complete serial # . No doubt NOS. Same place as the first bike and they have another NOS Jap or whatever, Schwinn lightweight to look at.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=291717500893

s-l1600.jpg

Well I see where that one went, It is currently being parted out and should generate quite a bit more money in parts than it did as a complete bike: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=davekahelski608&_nkw=1983+nos

Well I see where that one went, It is currently being parted out and should generate quite a bit more money in parts than it did as a complete bike: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=davekahelski608&_nkw=1983+nos

He's gotta recoup $250 before making any profit. I thought about doing what he's doing but wondered if it was worth it. Kind of sad really, too bad no one wanted a brand new 1983 ladies Varsity to just ride. What a great gift that would have made on muthas day.

He's gotta recoup $250 before making any profit.

Maybe not. Since the frame arrived damaged (the front wheel was apparently loose in the box) he probably got a nice refund: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-NOS-WO...K-BRAND-NEW-OUT-OF-ORIGINAL-BOX-/182111211543

Kind of sad really, too bad no one wanted a brand new 1983 ladies Varsity to just ride. What a great gift that would have made on muthas day.

I would have had a hard time getting over that it was one of the weird "Murray-built" models (with a Made in Taiwan tubular fork) and not a true Chicago Schwinn. If I would have entertained any thoughts of keeping that bike intact (ladies' models are almost always parts bikes for me) that would have gone out the window once I saw the paint damage from shipping.

I asked for some revealing picks of that frame. We shall see. Looks to be what we were looking for for the EF info we are curious about. Didn't read about the damage, doubt he got any money back. I doubt I would have asked for any but I would have pitched a bitch.

Last edited:
Here they are. 1983 Murray Schwinn EF frame. Pics speak for themselves.

"Hope you can help. We Schwinn fanatics were discussing these probably Murray built 1983 Schwinns. Was hoping I could trouble you to take a few pictures for us. We need a photo of inside the bottom bracket, inside the head tube and the rear drop outs, the ugly side. Thank you and best of luck. Bummer it was damaged in shipping."

" It's interesting you bring that up. And it does explain a few things. I did find areas of this frame that to me were a poor representation of Schwinn Quality. Looking at the contruction of this frame, it's no wonder Schwinn went under eventually. This bike was made real cheap. The tubing is weaker, I noticed the seat tube had been clamped down onto the cheap thin gauge seat post to the point that it will no longer come out without some work. The blown brazing is sloppier than normal and only exists on the headtube, the ring gusset inside the bottom bracket is not a process done in Chicago. The BB shell has seam that is only partially welded. The components for the bike look like Giant parts to me. I am friends with Jay Townley who was Vice President of Purchasing for Schwinn from 66 to 90. I frequently ask him specific question which he thoroughly answers. We have coffee occasionally. If you have any direct questions for him, I would gladly pass them on. For one, I will be asking him if Murray had any involvement in 83 and I will get to the bottom of it and let you know what I find out. If you need more photos feel free to ask, Dave"

Thanks Dave!
schwinn 1983.jpg
schwinn 1983 1.jpg
schwinn 1983 3.jpg

You can tell that the headtube and dropouts look like electro-forged Schwinn, but the bottom bracket shell is completely different.

ok some of might remember the chestnut varsity that was suppose to be NOS in the box for 40 years well it turned out NOTHING was stock on that bike every thing was mismatched parts did not work or fit right so I spent the summer fixing it
this is how it was
IMG_0464.jpg

and this how it is today as a 21 speed
863A2ACA-1FBD-455C-9228-57F8F35E87AC.jpg

Back