When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple of questions about a Schwinn Twinn Tandem

-

Chilidawg

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought new chains for this bike but only the back chain fits properly the synchro chain is different. Is this an oddball chain?

Other problem is the shifter bends as I am changing gears. Did I mess this up?

Last edited:
It's been over ten years since I tore down my 69 Deluxe Twinn but I'm sure the back chain was a 1/2 - 3/32 and the front was a standard 1/2 - 1/8.

The shifter casing should rest against the first plate (with the small hole for the wire) from the lever, not against the cable support tab that's all bent. Why are you using a hex bolt and star washer for the thumb screw? Are you missing the friction plate/material for the lever?

It's been over ten years since I tore down my 69 Deluxe Twinn but I'm sure the back chain was a 1/2 - 3/32 and the front was a standard 1/2 - 1/8.

The shifter casing should rest against the first plate (with the small hole for the wire) from the lever, not against the cable support tab that's all bent. Why are you using a hex bolt and star washer for the thumb screw? Are you missing the friction plate/material for the lever?
It was a basket case that I brought back. It had a rusty mess of cables that I stripped off. It is assembled exactly the way I got it except for the adjustment screw, I thought I needed it.

Ok, got the shifter cable fixed.

thanks for help. The chain is getting worked in so I may not have to replace it (yet).

Ok, got the shifter cable fixed.

thanks for help. The chain is getting worked in so I may not have to replace it (yet).

Is the front chain 1/8" wide?? A 5-10 speed 3/32" wide bike chain (on the back) may somewhat fit on 1/8" sprockets (front) if they're worn enough but it sure wouldn't be a good idea leaving it.

The syncro chain is original to the bike. I was going to replace it but the new chain would not mesh with sprokets.

Back