When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A couple of Schwinn projects, one from the Garden Shed one from the Barn

-
I agree with everyone on the rear rack and also in addition to a good wash a good waxing will really bring the Typhoon back to looking good. Don’t forget to post pics when you are done or along the way too. Tim

Lose that '70s rear rack, new rear wheel, tires, correct pedals and do some work on the crooked rear fender that Typhoon is sweet. You may be able to lace the rear hub to new hoop.
I have removed the rear rack. I am working toward relacing the original 3 speed hub into a correct unbent rim.
I am about to decide that the pedals on the bike are correct. Believing that the pedals were not correct, I was surprised to find that they are Schwinn pedals. The bike looks to be original and unchanged down to the tires and I have a hard time with the idea that the original owner had any reason to change the pedals. I am the second owner getting the bike straight out of the original owner's barn. With literature help from a friend here on the forum I learned that the Schwinn part no. for the Waffle/Diamond Tread pedal is 57 505, with Manufacture no. 6519-A. Then with more literature help, the parts list for a 1966 L15-4, 26'', Schwinn Deluxe Typhoon 3 speed, list the pedal Factory no. 6579-B, I.B.M. no. 57510 which is not the Waffle/Diamond Tread Pedal. Does anyone here have reference material that shows what the pedal, Factory no. 6579-B, I.B.M. no. 57510 Looks like. The following pictures show close ups of my pedal, also a link to a Deluxe Typhoon here on the forum with the same pedal I have. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-deluxe-typhoon-3-speed-400.157581/

Schwinn Typhoon Pedals 1.JPEG

Schwinn Typhoon Pedals 2.JPEG

Schwinn Typhoon Pedals 3.JPEG

I have removed the rear rack. I am working toward relacing the original 3 speed hub into a correct unbent rim.
I am about to decide that the pedals on the bike are correct. Believing that the pedals were not correct, I was surprised to find that they are Schwinn pedals. The bike looks to be original and unchanged down to the tires and I have a hard time with the idea that the original owner had any reason to change the pedals. I am the second owner getting the bike straight out of the original owner's barn. With literature help from a friend here on the forum I learned that the Schwinn part no. for the Waffle/Diamond Tread pedal is 57 505, with Manufacture no. 6519-A. Then with more literature help, the parts list for a 1966 L15-4, 26'', Schwinn Deluxe Typhoon 3 speed, list the pedal Factory no. 6579-B, I.B.M. no. 57510 which is not the Waffle/Diamond Tread Pedal. Does anyone here have reference material that shows what the pedal, Factory no. 6579-B, I.B.M. no. 57510 Looks like. The following pictures show close ups of my pedal, also a link to a Deluxe Typhoon here on the forum with the same pedal I have. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-deluxe-typhoon-3-speed-400.157581/

View attachment 1707033

View attachment 1707034

View attachment 1707035
That may be a referrance to the Schwinn bow pedal in 1966 used on some other models maybe the Deluxe typhoon came with those. They would be the double arrow style.

Well I don’t believe so, that pedal number is no. 57 500 referenced below. The parts book for 1966 L15-4, 26'', Schwinn Deluxe Typhoon 3 speed shows to have a 57 510 pedal.

7D7B3991-8ED2-40A7-BE34-7ABE4B83395A.png

Last edited:
Back