When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A curiosity for you Raleigh fans

-

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
I got this in a 1948 Firestone Catalog I just got.
USRaleighGram1.gif

USRaleighGram2.gif

Pretty cool article...of interest to me because I have several English bikes...2 raleighs (uk) 1 raleigh usa, a Robinhood, a Royal Enfield, and a hercules.

I find it interesting that some of the vintage sears, k mart, etc. 3 speeds were by appearance built very similar to Raleighs and other English bikes. Rebuildable pedals, removable crank arms, etc.

Robert

Some of them looked like Raleighs, and some of them WERE Raleighs only rebadged, hehe. I have a 62 Huffy Sportsman with a TCW SA hub. Also has a Raleigh serial, three piece cottered cranks, the whole deal. John Bull brakes.

:D

Attachments

• Sportsmanfull.jpg
    Sportsmanfull.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 184
I know alot of bikes have resemblance to raleigh. I have a Heideman Sprinter.
Its a 5 speed stickshift and looks identical to a Raleigh except the frame by the crank and headset narrows 1/4 inch. It was mde in Germany. Ive never seen another one of these. Have you?

Heideman Sprinter

I know alot of bikes have resemblance to raleigh. I have a Heideman Sprinter.
Its a 5 speed stickshift and looks identical to a Raleigh except the frame by the crank and headset narrows 1/4 inch. It was mde in Germany. Ive never seen another one of these. Have you?

Post a pic of this rare bird. We all like to see new bikes. It might be a Gazelle(Raleigh) based bike exported to Germany. Or a Ross Apollo?Are there any other markings on it? What kind of derailler? Pics please.

When I was a kid, my friend, Jum Yuspa had a Hercules. Except for the hand chain wheel and color and badge, it was exactly the same as my Raleigh Rudge Sports. His bike had painted fenders, and mine were chromed, and I remember one weekend we took the fenders off of both bikes, then made a balance scale hanging from his garage rafter. We put my bike on one end, and his bike on the other, and they weighed the same thing. When we put the fenders back on, my bike was slightly heavier than Jim's.

Another Raleigh curiousity-

My Raleigh DL-1 has a 65 12 date code on the AW hub. The serial number on the bottom bracket, though, is the curiosity. According Sheldon Brown, a Raleigh of this age would have a serial number consisting of 5 numbers followed by two letters. On the bottom bracket on my DL-1 in simply says "427". Does anyone have a clue what that means? :confused:

What do you mean by that? The 65 12 is on the hub.

On the bottom bracket, where the SN would be expected, it says 427.

Back