When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little Elgin help please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rusthound

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought this Elgin, I think it is wartime as there is no chrome. The chain is skip tooth and the chain ring is solid, The front fender goes over the forks. The front hub is heavy duty with flanges. The frame under the seat post is curved. Pretty sure the carrier is an add on at some point. Under the crank is stamped MOD-502 then 205 slighty under and poorly done. Then looks like FR 6249. The bars were painted white and under the grips they were pinstriped with red. The front forks have and Elgin logo and the head stock has the remains of an Elgin V logo decal. Any help is welcome Thanks in advance Rusty

IMG_4901 (25).JPG

I bought this Elgin, I think it is wartime as there is no chrome. The chain is skip tooth and the chain ring is solid, The front fender goes over the forks. The front hub is heavy duty with flanges. The frame under the seat post is curved. Pretty sure the carrier is an add on at some point. Under the crank is stamped MOD-502 then 205 slighty under and poorly done. Then looks like FR 6249. The bars were painted white and under the grips they were pinstriped with red. The front forks have and Elgin logo and the head stock has the remains of an Elgin V logo decal. Any help is welcome Thanks in advance Rusty

View attachment 1308166
I'm no expert, ( jack of all trades/master of none) but have/have owned several Elgins. It looks 1941'ish, hard to tell ( from this picture) about the rear carrier. Elgins were made for SEARS and several main manufact. built them. I had a 1941 Monark made Elgin, this may be made by Murray Ohio ( based on the look and the MOD number under crank. Your's has a Stewart Warner front floating hub which is an offset axle internal rubber to give a "floating" ride, Cool item/option on Elgins and some other bikes. The rear hub is probably a ridged "air cooled" one with a grease fitting. Handle bars ( hard to tell in pic) are probably original Torrington 1/2 moon style that have been painted white, the front light looks original, likely a Delta front loader. The solid chain ring is exclusive Elgin I believe. Rims look original painted drop center, as are the peaked fenders. Great score, should clean up nicely, or looks straight for a restore. Curved seat post is classic and somewhat unique to that era and several models. Others will "chime in" to add or correct my comments/observations.

If you want to PM me I can send pics of some Elgins I own/owned. Posting here would just take away from your thread, and not be polite in my opinion. This is to feature your bike, not mine. Cheers, Bob

View attachment 1308166
Sweet bike. There is an Elgin book. Your bike is in it. You will love it. Reprints of catalog photos from every year. Wow.
I am pretty sure you can get it from "thecabe" on eBay.

I have a couple of prewar Elgins. Each has an SX stamped into the bottom bracket. The X on the '39 is D, the X on the '40 is E. Stands to logic that the SF would be a '41.

I believe that the frames with the curved seat tube mast were introduced in 1939 (SD); for one no-sooner-than date.
I believe that the “MOD-502” stamping commenced sometime in 1940 (SE); for another no-sooner-than date.
I believe that the style was discontinued because of, (and not resumed after), the war; for a no-later-than date.
The “FR” stamping seems peculiar.

Last edited:
Back