When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little heat did the trick

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

STRADALITE

I live for the CABE
Here’s a bit of knowledge I’m passing on.
I recently bought this seat to restore. First order of business is to take it apart. You can tell from the pictures that won’t be an easy feat.
The screws at the end of the bell cups wouldn’t budge. Normally several days of PB Blaster will help loosen nuts. This setup won’t allow for the Blaster to penetrate the threads. I used a trick that I’ve heard here before. I heated the screws with a propane torch and let them cool. After that they came out with zero resistance.

PB Blaster isn't bad but for really stuck stuff, Kano Kroil or 50/50 ATF/Acetone are good options. I heat the part more or less dry, then add the oil right after halting the heat so that as the part cools, it draws in the oil. A propane torch is a must-have with these oils if you have rusted parts. I prefer the Kroil over ATF/Acetone because the acetone component can ruin paint and dry stuff out.

Back