When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Monark Story.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Today I was at a bike show in Sycamore Ill. and met an older gentleman named Jack Gercken that lived near the show. We started talking and I asked him what he did and what jobs he held during his life.
He mentioned that before he went into the army, that in 1951 he worked at the Monark Plant.......I was all ears!
I said to him," Tell me a Monark story..... Well get a load of this....There was a Schwinn next to us that had the springer on it. He pointed to it and told me how , in 1951 , they mounted a full size Schwinn with the rear of the bike on a platform. The saddle was taken off the bike and large weights were affixed to the bike, in place of the saddle. The front wheel was mounted over an off-set roller that would spin and on every revolution would "bump" the springer up and down. He said the engineers at Monark stood by it and observed the spring action and copied it . The 1953 Monark springer is a copy of the original Schwinn version. For years I have heard that Schwinn went after the Monark Co. to stop making their springer, as they supposedly copied Schwinn's. This proves they did.

Interesting story. Did Monark make any significant improvements on their copy after the testing?

YES, they most certainly did, they stopped making that springer!;)

LOL I can understand that. The springer makes a bike ride like a Ford truck with their POS famous brain fart, the twin I beam front suspension. No control, sloppy and you're all over the road. :D

I've noticed the '53-4s have that springer, but the later middleweights have the twin spring one.

They missed the boat. They should have set their sights higher.....on the Shockmaster :).

Back