When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Newbie here with an Oldie (Shapleigh)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

elwood

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello... I'm new... here's how I got here... was given this bike years ago.. a friend was help cleaning up some family farm property.. They had thrown this into a rented dumpster
over the weekend... He, knowing I love old stuff, told me about a bike with a tank and I told him I would take it if they hadn't hauled it off yet.. well he dug it out and brought it to
me and I put it in my shed... Now I collect mainly vintage soda machines, coolers anything soda fountain related of the 1940s and 50s and thought a bike would look awesome displayed with them... just think of all the kids riding their bikes to the local gas station or general store to get a soda...

Anyway I know nothing about bikes so I started looking on the web for parts and history of this bike... how old is this? And a link brought me here... The bikes are amazing on this site... As I was waiting to get approved to join I've look through so many post... the finds, the restorations, One member cleaning a bike up for a 90 year old uncle (I want that bike...
it came out beautiful)... the "rattle can" restoration thread was one of my favorites to look through...

So anyway here I am, and here's this bike... not the best of shape , has been repainted... lost of dents on the back fender and the bike support/stand (which I thought was original) is now probably just some metal someone made to help hold the bike up. I know it's old but how old? How can I find out? is there a date or number painted or stamped on this somewhere?
I don't want to junk this I want to try and see what can be done to the paint... see if I can wet sand down to original as so much has flaked off... looks to have been a darker red/maroon... the chrome on the handle bars had peeled off.. so I may just steel wool that and clear coat... but what about hand grips? Anyone here know what originals may have looked like.. Are there after market grips that are close and the seat... again any repops? Chain guard - did it have one? the back fender reflector anything out there? Want to try and do a "Rustoration" rat rod it.. but would like to find a new seat close to the look of this one, chain guard if it had one, proper stand for it, etc. I'm on eBay all the time for soda machines and coolers and when I type in "vintage bike" 1000s of parts come up!!... I don't know what I'm doing or looking for any help would be greatly appreciated... Now there are killer, KILLER bikes on this site..this one I have may not be worthy here...It may not be worth fixing up... but I just didn't want to see it junked. and want to fix it up some and ride it. I'm in Missouri and will be looking for a bike club maybe to join.
I go to Chicago Coin-Op show every year in November with my wife to hunt soda machines and coolers... and there have been some bikes show up... I think bikes are now on my list as well.. would love to find a couple more.
I'm an old guy (50+) had a killer Schwinn bike from the early 70s as a kid wish I still had it, had the banana seat and tall handle bars was a 2 tone purple and red-ish color very 70s was awesome.
road it everywhere. I promise to be a good member here... only positive post and as I try to do something with this bike I will report in with pictures and give credit to those who help me along this new
interest and great hobby... So glad I found this site.
Shapleigh01.jpg

Shapleigh02.jpg

Shapleigh03.jpg

Shapleigh04.jpg

It’s a Westfield built bike. The serial number should be under the crank. Looks late ‘30s/early ‘40s. V/r Shawn

Welcome! Great bike, save and story. Check out the threads on removing paint and saving original paint. You've got a great start and if it was me I'd keep that home fabricated stand, it has character, patina and is part of the bikes history. You've come to the right place for both help, information and the parts to complete the project. Best of luck, find that serial number.

Yup, I too came here late last year looking for information on an old bike I came across. The talent and knowledge that this place posses is totally amazing. Going through threads on people asking for info on bikes that they have found and the comments on details to identify the year of production that I wouldn't even think of noticing. I had asked for the age of the bike I had and after posting the serial number, I got the info I was looking for within 5 minutes. Great place to come. I enjoy myself just window shopping of all the cool bikes that are for sell here and admire the character and the quality of the older bikes, much like the older cars.

Thank you all for the welcome.. Here is the serial number from the crank (Thanks Freqman1 for letting me know where it was)
The paint is really bad.. I tried some fine steel wool, oven cleaner (have had good results with that on soda coolers) but not here and the back fender is really dented up
We've had a lot of rain last night and today but once it clears I may try and get into the tank.... also does the headlight open? It has a cracked front plastic lens will need to find a replacement for it and a back reflector
Shapleigh05.jpg

While I'm posting images will go ahead and post this other bike I bought at auction a couple years back... nobody was interested in it so I got it for $1.. It seemed so straight had
to get it. I don't think it's super old (maybe 1960s?) Thinks its been repainted...no real dents anywhere would the handle bars been white like this?... Would it have had a tank and
chain guard? I like the little jewel reflector on the back... Badge is a little scuffed up... Here on the site the "Show me your rattle can paint job" thread is so cool I may have to repaint this one... I'll post the serial number also so someone can give me an idea of how old it is.
ShapleighWestern2.jpg

WesternFlyer01.jpg

WesternFlyer01B.jpg

WesternFlyer01C.jpg

WesternFlyer01D.jpg

Going off the top of my head I want to say the "F" serial on your Westfield (Shapleigh) bike makes it 1941. The other bike appears to be a prewar Huffman of about the same age. Check the back of the fork crown for either two or three numbers. Check this link to understand better what I'm talking about. https://vintageamericanbicycles.com/index.php/serial-number-lists/ V/r Shawn

Back