When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A picture speaks a thousand words Lets see your vintage mountainbikes.

-
1986 Schwinn Sierra I bought new in 1986
86sierra.jpg

Last edited:
I think i might have mentioned already earlier in this thread that I bought a Diamondback Ridgerunner back in 1984 but it was stolen a couple years later. Always wanted to find another. Here's an 84 Diamondback Ridgerunner that I finally built. Bought the frame on Ebay and had the rest of the parts. Going to change the rear deraileur with a Suntour Mountech. On a side note I recently found my original Diamondback owner's manual & receipt from 1984. I attached it on the bike just for the pic.

20220314_091129.jpg

20220314_091248.jpg

20220314_093432.jpg

This seems like the best place to post this Biscayne Blazer. I have never herd of this brand so looking for any info.
Reminds me a pre-lugged Stumbjumper. For $50 I indented to use the fork and wheels another bikes, but then it looked at me with that pretty sea blue paint and I could not resist to give it new life.
Bull-moose bars and XC thumb shifters, Dia-comb brakes and nice wide Araya rims with high flange hubs.
It was missing the left shifter and is still missing the front de-railer. But was lucky to have a friend that had the shifter spare.
I have replaced the 25mm steel seat post with a 25.8mm alloy. Re-moving the .8shim. Added some splash with white cages and made an aluminum chain-stay protector for a little bling (hides the chain chipping at the same time) after a good clean and a majoy tune up(re-packing all the bearings, new chain etc) it was good to go.
Rare I suppose? as there is nothing I can find on the web.

102_6186.JPG

My first dirt bike build was in 1968 this is the only pic I have of it. Sorry about that.
I hesitate to call it a Mountain bike but I did build it to ride off road. At this time you could buy a 10 speed racing bike or a standard with maybe a internal 3 speed rear hub. I wanted a hybrid, a sit-up riding position with derailler gears.
This build started with the bicycle speedway tires hanging on the local bike shop wall. I had 26'' rims laced to a 5 speed racing hub. Found the standard frame in a ditch, cleaned it up, spread the rear triangle and repainted a light metallic blue, I remember the color was called Blue Mink.
Other features were the shorty fenders, white cables, Cow horn handle bars, side pull rim brakes, top tube shifter and the off-road tires etc.
Remember I was a 14 year old with a need to ride dirt roads to get to school on time. No, it never accrued to me to get up 30mins early and ride in traffic. Not an potion at 14. This was so much more fun.
Would love to see other peoples childhood bike projects.

1st mountain bike.jpg

Last edited:
My first dirt bike build was in 1968 this is the only pic I have of it. Sorry about that.
I hesitate to call it a Mountain bike but I did build it to ride off road. At this time you could buy a 10 speed racing bike or a standard with maybe a internal 3 speed rear hub. I wanted a hybrid, a sit-up riding position with derailler gears.
This build started with the bicycle speedway tires hanging on the local bike shop wall. I had 26'' rims laced to a 5 speed racing hub. Found the standard frame in a ditch, cleaned it up, spread the rear triangle and repainted a light metallic blue, I remember the color was called Blue Mink.
Other features were the shorty fenders, white cables, Cow horn handle bars, side pull rim brakes, top tube shifter and the off-road tires etc.
Remember I was a 14 year old with a need to ride dirt roads to get to school on time. No, it never accrued to me to get up 30mins early and ride in traffic. Not an potion at 14. This was so much more fun.
Would love to see other peoples childhood bike projects.

View attachment 1619606
Great story! I love it

Back