When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A picture speaks a thousand words Lets see your vintage mountainbikes.

-

tDuctape

Finally riding a big boys bike
Finally a topic I can share a little bit about here on the CABE. A vintage mountainbiker who trolls here regularly just because I enjoy everything about old bikes, here are a few of my favorite steeds:

1941 Schwinn retro klunker build:

4120DX20profile00011-1.jpg

1979 26" Double Downtube Champion BMX cruiser converted to a MTB early in it's life with the addition of a der hanger, bash guard, cable guides, and water bottle braze ons. Teaser photo. Project bike and still collecting correct parts:

khs7085.gif

1984 Ritchey TimberWolf:

Copyofkhs4615.gif

1987 Ritchey TimberComp converted with an era correct WTB dirt drop cockpit. Simply my favorite bike:

khs6987-1.jpg

1988 IBIS Avion. After acquiring and admiring this little creampuff for a couple of years, too small for me to to ride, I just traded it away to someone excited to get into vintage Mtn bike collecting:

IBIS20Avion0001_2-1.gif

Prewar Schwinn C frame that I am converting to an era correct klunker. When I put together the DX, I cut corners and used some parts that weren't available during the klunker heydey, Thus the need to start over with the "C". Slowly collecting parts that were available and used during the late 70's up on Mount Tam:

vbulletin

These are a few of my favorites. It would be fun to see pictures of the MTB projects hiding in your garage.

Enjoy the ride,
T

Last edited:
My Klunker

I've got 3 piece BMX cranks with 9/16 pedals, dual tandem drum brakes with a 3spd on alloy MTB rims and kevlar tires, this girl is fast and nimble and heavy,( reminds me on an ex-girlfriend)
one of my favorite riders....the bike I mean

rolling heavy metal.
Neil

Attachments

• P1020393.jpg
    P1020393.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 954
I picked up this 1982 Stumpjumper a couple weeks ago. It is in great condition and only missing the seatpost (WTB: SR Laprade 26.8 - LONG fluted seatpost).

The serial number is from late in 1982 and it has the lugged frame with th first generation component group.

*Before Picture Added* in response to the next post. This is how I found it.

DSCN1618.jpg

DSCN1616.jpg

DStump3.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up this 1982 Stumpjumper a couple weeks ago. It is in great condition and only missing the seatpost (WTB: SR Laprade 26.8 - LONG fluted seatpost).

The serial number is from late in 1982 and it has the lugged frame with th first generation component group.

Nice find. 1982's are pretty hard to find with a production run around 1000 bikes. It wasn't until 1983 that Synard released about 40000 Stumpjumper Sports thus introducing Mtn bikes to the masses....A total ripoff of an early Ritchey frames. The price point difference was huge.
Mafacs, Maguras, TA's... Your bike looks to be in great shape. I do have an 83 Stumpy Project in the to do pile. When I picked it up it had been living a life as a commuter:

stump.gif

Enjoy your project,
T

Hello all, newbie to the forums here. Though I don't race any longer and ride far less often than i should, i still have most of my rides. Some nice stuff posted, friend of mine has a pink/purple Klein, same bars, he has a set of rockshox on it now.
Here's my first love, the one that got away. 1984/5 Mongoose ATB PRO 600. Drilled Arayas, Suntour XC pro components, Cunningham roller cam brakes. I went through so many front forks and bars/necks that it went to standard canti's up front because I couldn't get forks with the right boss locations for the rollers after awhile. Still have most of the bits for the front brakes and the original xc shifters and bits of the derailleurs. Sadly I sold her on back in the late 80s. Found what town it lived in a few years later and almost got it back. I'd know her in a heartbeat because of some frame damage and mods around the rear dropouts. Quarry cliff jumping up around Brewer Maine circa 1987 or so.

Attachments

• quarry.jpg
    quarry.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 773
Back