When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Proud New Ballooner Owner-- A Pre-War (Maybe?) Hawthorne

-
Looks like a local bike registration number perhaps.

thumbnail_img_8439-jpg.jpg

I didn't think I had seen that sprocket on that frame, but I found a couple more examples. Sounds like Snyder/Hawthorne/Rollfast intermingled more than I thought.
36.JPG

798875-f127d0e634223e4d3b4d3a08a1ebdb69.jpg

The Hawthorne I've got with that sprocket is a Double Bar Roadster(taller seat tube than the last photo).

Your frame is definitely H.P. Snyder built. Since it looks like you've got patience from cleaning the rims, I'd recommend using a dull pick or something of that nature to dig the funk out of that serial number. Maybe lightly apply some WD 40 and steel wool to bring out the edges of the number.
I just hate when I see people that take what looks like a die grinder to a frame so they can "see" the number better. Great, you can see that shiny bit from space now too....lol end rant

I can't remember if the top 3 numbers/letter are the model on Snyders, or the year. I need to go look at mine.

I didn't think I had seen that sprocket on that frame, but I found a couple more examples. Sounds like Snyder/Hawthorne/Rollfast intermingled more than I thought.
View attachment 1840436

View attachment 1840437
The Hawthorne I've got with that sprocket is a Double Bar Roadster(taller seat tube than the last photo).

Your frame is definitely H.P. Snyder built. Since it looks like you've got patience from cleaning the rims, I'd recommend using a dull pick or something of that nature to dig the funk out of that serial number. Maybe lightly apply some WD 40 and steel wool to bring out the edges of the number.
I just hate when I see people that take what looks like a die grinder to a frame so they can "see" the number better. Great, you can see that shiny bit from space now too....lol end rant

I can't remember if the top 3 numbers/letter are the model on Snyders, or the year. I need to go look at mine.
Thanks for the info, and for sharing those photos, nice to see others for reference purposes.

Well @GTs58, it took a couple cups of coffee AND some slightly diluted white vinegar, but I'm now able to clearly make out the characters on the bottom bracket.

thumbnail_IMG_8452.jpg

So it's 'SAC'-- which I'm guessing is short for 'City of Sacramento'-- 1-2-upside down-4-5-75. That has to be a municipal code, considering how sloppy the stamping is, but then where is the bicycle's serial number? Ground off under this code?

View attachment 1840436

View attachment 1840437

Scroll down the page on this link to see the relationship. Snyder also sold bikes through Wards (Hawthorne).

Scroll down the page on this link to see the relationship. Snyder also sold bikes through Wards (Hawthorne).
I've seen this article floating around, but hadn't taken the time to read it until today. Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

From what I've seen, Rollfast held on to some unique features to set their name apart from other badges that were placed on Snyder built frames though, right?
And is there not a Serial Number Project for pre-1940 Snyder built frames?
If there is, I must not be using the correct search terms.

Two things that make me wonder about this bike are the catty wompus badge that @soddruntlestuntle pointed out and the fact that the sprocket is flipped around backwards. The comets are aiming the wrong way. Lol Not that it's a big deal to fix, I'd put another set of drop centers on it and ride it on down the road. I wonder though if the frame/fork hadn't been cannibalized and later the parts replaced with the next convenient pieces that fit that era...

From what I've seen, Rollfast held on to some unique features to set their name apart from other badges that were placed on Snyder built frames though, right?
And is there not a Serial Number Project for pre-1940 Snyder built frames?
If there is, I must not be using the correct search terms.

Two things that make me wonder about this bike are the catty wompus badge that @soddruntlestuntle pointed out and the fact that the sprocket is flipped around backwards. The comets are aiming the wrong way. Lol Not that it's a big deal to fix, I'd put another set of drop centers on it and ride it on down the road. I wonder though if the frame/fork hadn't been cannibalized and later the parts replaced with the next convenient pieces that fit that era...
Maybe on the top tier models but basic bikes was just a badge. The stem looks crooked on that bike as well.

Back