When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Question about Tank Mounting

-

OLDTIMER

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have noticed that curved bar cantilever frames of the 60s that possess tanks have (2) small brackets attached to bottom of the top bar between the fork tube and seat tube.
Apparently these bracket hold the tank halves to the frame in some dimension.
However, I sometimes see people selling 26" curved tube cantilever frames as "tank" frames which clearly do not possess these two brackets.
I know their are a variety of tanks out there, plus some reproduction Schwnn tanks as well.
Are these brackets affixed under the bar necessary to mount a pair of tanks?
Are their a version or specific type of tank that does not require these brackets and are, per se, self-supporting.
I raise the question surrounding a '62 American standard (without brackets) that I might like to add a pair of tanks.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me..???
Thanks

I have noticed that curved bar cantilever frames of the 60s that possess tanks have (2) small brackets attached to bottom of the top bar between the fork tube and seat tube.
Apparently these bracket hold the tank halves to the frame in some dimension.
However, I sometimes see people selling 26" curved tube cantilever frames as "tank" frames which clearly do not possess these two brackets.
I know their are a variety of tanks out there, plus some reproduction Schwnn tanks as well.
Are these brackets affixed under the bar necessary to mount a pair of tanks?
Are their a version or specific type of tank that does not require these brackets and are, per se, self-supporting.
I raise the question surrounding a '62 American standard (without brackets) that I might like to add a pair of tanks.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me..???
Thanks
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the brackets are only used in bikes originally equipped with slimline or peanut style tanks. The typical phantom style tank don't use those brackets on the frame to hold it in place. They just sandwich the frame between the two tank halves.

Back