When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about the Higgin's Flightliner's

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Believe it or not I have used white fluoride toothpaste & gojo orange grit hand cleaner to remove some dried out grease. Mix'em together and wire bristle or tooth brush massage 'em. Usually Harbor Freight degreaser is what I use when needing to clean greasy parts or soak rusty stuff before soft scrubbing to save paint. Full Concentrate may take paint off so use as you feel the need.

I've had individual bearings come out of the retainer. Usually a good layer of new grease will hold it in place until you can get the retainer back in the cup. If not, a small amount of pressure on the retainer on each side of the maverick bearing will cage it again.

I've had individual bearings come out of the retainer. Usually a good layer of new grease will hold it in place until you can get the retainer back in the cup. If not, a small amount of pressure on the retainer on each side of the maverick bearing will cage it again.
Same here but as you said fixes the issue to get it together & installed. Other than a few very weathered & badly pitted parts bikes ; Most All my bearings come out looking like new & hardly ever showing signs of wear (considering they're from '39 to '65) I have even thought some that sounded "crunchy" actually were jus' crusty & or gritty

You can purchase individual loose bearings to replace those that you might not be able to clean up. I bought some retainers from the Huffy Co. in Houston. Probably Chinese . No matter, they were too small for what I needed (an older Bendix coaster brake) although they carried the same part number. In hindsight, I should have put the new bearings in the old retainer. It was the retainer that was too small, not the bearings themselves.

You can purchase individual loose bearings to replace those that you might not be able to clean up. I bought some retainers from the Huffy Co. in Houston. Probably Chinese . No matter, they were too small for what I needed (an older Bendix coaster brake) although they carried the same part number. In hindsight, I should have put the new bearings in the old retainer. It was the retainer that was too small, not the bearings themselves.
Most of the time as I said the bearings & retainer cages are either good or trashed ; 1/2 alive or completely dead. Lol. Most of the bearings have been quality stuff like torrington & ol'school USA steel so that helps. Like said though IF You Gotta & Can jus' replace a bearing vs everything .... do the bearings as a lot of the new stuff isn't probably quality made here or from somewhere over there

Back