When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question for the paint prep experts...

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm restoring a '38 Raleigh X Frame...It's been glass bead blasted; two coats of a high-build primer. My plan is to paint it in a satin black enamel, with clear coats to give it a nice, but not over-the-top shine. More of a gleam. Anyways...there are still small former rust pits, here and there on the frame. What would you experts do? Glazing compound to fill, sand with 180, another coat of primer? Or...? I've put a lot of work into this bike - I'm not afraid of a bit more. Thanks!!

I've used both primer and glazing compound depending on how deep the pits or chips are. I don't know if your "satin" paint is real heavy bodied paint, doubt it, but you need to sand with at least a 600 grit before painting.

A high build primer in a spray can isn't jack compared to the primer you get in a can, mix and spray with a gun. If it's going to take 4 or more coats of primer with sanding between coats, then use a glazing compound. A primer in a rattle can wouldn't really be a high build in my book.

Here's some stupid that I deal with on a daily basis at work. This is part of a metal guard on one of the machines we sell. These are some factory paint touch ups on a brand new machine that I have to clean up. Three little chips you can see underneath that big mess and some tiny scratches at the top is what they were touching up. I don't have half a day to deal with this kind of stupid before we ship the machine out.

1659831921184.png

I'm restoring a '38 Raleigh X Frame...It's been glass bead blasted; two coats of a high-build primer. My plan is to paint it in a satin black enamel, with clear coats to give it a nice, but not over-the-top shine. More of a gleam. Anyways...there are still small former rust pits, here and there on the frame. What would you experts do? Glazing compound to fill, sand with 180, another coat of primer? Or...? I've put a lot of work into this bike - I'm not afraid of a bit more. Thanks!!
Pictures will help!

As an add-on question...I just read that, clearcoat will not adhere properly to a paint finish more than 8-10 hrs. old. Is this true?

Back