When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A recent find, an old roadmaster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

thebicyclejungle

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm no expert on roadmasters, what year and are the parts on it correct? What's missing? Any help will be appreciated.

RoadmasterProject.jpg

Chainguard looks like Higgins, seat is wrong, chainring looks Schwinn, and rack doesn't look right either-a frankenbike? Hard to tell on the tank from the pic. It would have to be cheap! V/r Shawn

This is what is referred to in the hobby as a “Frankenbike”, one that has been stitched together from the remains of several different bicycles. The only part of this bicycle that is Roadmaster is the postwar Shockmaster springer fork. It has been fitted to a Postwar Murray-Ohio built frame. That frame was likely supplied to Sears as the basis for a JC Higgins bike as the tank and chain guard (and perhaps the wheels) are correct for the frame in that application. All the rest of the parts are sourced from mostly prewar bikes (headlight is generic 50’s/60’s) and are not original to the frame or the fork.

Chainguard looks like Higgins, seat is wrong, chainring looks Schwinn, and rack doesn't look right either-a frankenbike? Hard to tell on the tank from the pic. It would have to be cheap! V/r Shawn

Ah, good thing I got it for $75. Now, I'm thinking of converting it from frankenbike to a ratbike. Appreciate your help, Shawn.
-Ryan

This is what is referred to in the hobby as a “Frankenbike”, one that has been stitched together from the remains of several different bicycles. The only part of this bicycle that is Roadmaster is the postwar Shockmaster springer fork. It has been fitted to a Postwar Murray-Ohio built frame. That frame was likely supplied to Sears as the basis for a JC Higgins bike as the tank and chain guard (and perhaps the wheels) are correct for the frame in that application. All the rest of the parts are sourced from mostly prewar bikes (headlight is generic 50’s/60’s) and are not original to the frame or the fork.

I like the word "Frankenbike". I'm not sure if I want to keep it as Frankenbike, then make a Ratbike from another bike so I can have both. :p Thanks for the info, BlueTarp..
-Ryan

That bike is well worth $75. The "wrong" parts are still worth money so you are in pretty good shape no matter what you decide to do.

Back