When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Roadmaster...Biting off more than I can chew!?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Oh… Okay Bri, I seem to be in a chatty mood today.

The CWC front Safety Reflector name plate was first introduced in the 1938 CWC Roadmaster Catalog along with the Dual Purpose Tail Light and Reflector equipped 8-hole vallanced rack. Both used the same cast plastic reflector, amber for the front and red for the rear.

The lighted/vallanced version of the rack was offered in 1938 as standard equipment on equipped Supreme models and was listed as available to be ordered/specified for other Supreme and Deluxe models.

The Safety Reflector badge was noted to be interchangeable and available on all Roadmaster made bicycles but not provided as standard equipment on any 1938 models

A side note about the 8-hole rack is that the unit was produced in 1938 with fixed legs, either straight or curved (arched toward the frame.) The same rack stamping was produced for many years after in variations but with separate, riveted legs, in straight and reverse curved versions. Late postwar versions were supported with chrome rod struts.

Back to the Safety Reflector badge; it was produced through 1941/42 and appears occasionally on some models in the catalogs for those years. These badges turn up a couple of times a year generally mounted on a bike on eBay so I wouldn’t call them rare but they are also not common. As for value; I would say the broad sweep is between “Gone in an hour, damn that’s the last time I’m mowing the lawn” on the CABE for $75 and securely parked next to the Bone’s badge on eBay that has been listed with a Buy-It-Now of $325 for several months.

Two more points regarding the badge are that it was technically available by order on any Roadmaster bicycle between 1938 and 1942 but was probably rarely specified for base level models. I have seen it used on many mid spec’d bikes though so it does not alone hold any key to the specification level of original bicycle. The other point to note is that “available by order” does not mean a customer would or could order the badge individually to taste. Bicycle specifications were typically drawn up in larger, jobber and distributor orders which were then spread out to retail outlets and individual bicycle shops.

Regarding the badged bike itself while I am still on the keyboard; the serial number will probably date it as 1940-1942. The key give-a-way here is the sprocket pattern and the integral headlight bracket on the fork crown. Both of these features were not introduced (at least in print) until the 1940 catalog.

Before I return to my tower, I want to mention that while the catalog states that the reflectors are made from a special unbreakable composition, in the real world they tend to deteriorate, so, a shout-out to CABE Member Jafco who has reproduced these reflectors in amber, red, and red with a blue jewel for certain Hawthorne applications.
From June 2013

Man....I got all excited thinking Phil was back!!! Dang it. Oh well, thanks for quoting a much missed Caber. Always a wealth of knowledge.

Come back to us Phil!!! Wherever you are!!!

We are still learning from Phil (rms37) yrs after he stopped spreading his CWC & other knowledge (for free) here and on other sites, he is probably up in his tower (his saying) looking down on us trying to find our way thru bicycle history, laughing, o well, we miss your input Phil, Thanks

Well I finally had time to get the serial number and as expected it is

D50173 making it a 1939...

And my winter's project. The original colors were creme and red, as it will once again be.

Now to start loosening bolts that haven't turned in nearly 75 years.
Thank you to each and every one of you for your help, guidance and encouragement. I will post progress from time to time.

Sludgeguy

Super cool project! The reflector badge is a really neat part of CWC history, I'm still learning and seeing this brought back is awesome! Good luck to you, I'll be watching! Joe.

1939 roadmaster.jpg
1939 roadmaster2.jpg

So I finally got it back among the living!
Best riding bike in my collection, thus far.
Looking forward to the fall swap at Memory Lanes so I can get the bearings and blocks for the pedals and get them back on it. I apologize for the zip tied water bottle holder, its been hot and I am riding it to work as often as possible!

Back