When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A shocking eye opener

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Got ready to head out on my Le Tour for a long ride this early morning with a pleasant temperature of 77. I was about to leave when my wife called me over to the front room. She said to please be very careful out there cause a bicyclist was killed by a hit an run driver sometime yesterday at the very same intersection I ride through daily. The information was posted on our community Face Book page. The victim was a very experienced long time rider who had logged thousands of miles and was very well known by biking enthusiasts of the area. I’m EXTREMELY careful when crossing this heavily traveled intersection but no matter how safe one tries to be, there is some knucklehead out there trying to mess up your day.
I’ve had several close calls even riding on the quiet back streets but have been lucky in anticipating the drivers stupid move ahead of time avoiding a not so pleasant encounter.

I ride every day and log a couple hundred miles monthly. Been at it for 40 years and always have been on the lookout for crazy drivers. One item i always use is a mirror that attaches to my glasses so i can see easily, if anyone is coming up on me from behind. Not sure how the accident mentioned above happened but please be extra carefull wear a helmet and be aware of your surroundings.

It just like when you ride a motorcycle. People just don't see you. And if they do see you, they use their own judgement as to your speed, your location in their path. You are just a moment of though in their minds. You are in their way and trust me as I have lost friends who were killed by someone who just knew better. I myself have had to lay my bike down three times in over 40 years of riding in order to not be killed by someone who didn't see me, misjudged my location and speed, and frankly just believed that my being on the road was where I should not be because I was riding a motorcycle or a bike. Trust yourself...If you feel that something is wrong or coming your way believe it.

Like you 1817, I use a helmet, mirrors and lots of caution when riding. I have to ride 3 miles on side streets to get on the bike trail and even there it has several streets that cross it. I came up on one of the trail crossings and stopped while two guys sped by me yelling “the cars stop not you!” Really? You hope they stop and not assume they will.

Yeah, back in the day, I use-to speed along side of traffic with those big old cars. Riding right down all of beach Blvd. and many times timing my self to hit the green and keep going. Once I got hit, years later about 1978. A guy jumped out of parking lot without looking. Actually, I hit him. He'd popped out and I saw it quick enough to hit my brakes, but not enough so, I'd thrust my bike forward to release the impact. Warped my rim and bent the fork but save me from doing a superman over his hood. He was sorry and paid for the damage.

Yet as I think back on my earlier Beach Bvd rides; 'What was different between then and now?'. Obviously I was too daring, duh. But these days our smaller compact cars are able to change lanes, skip in and out much more quicker. Comparable average drivers are still racing the streets to work and back while' this mobility cuts your time to see and react. Concentration in drivers to see out of their field is further limited. . Sound is is so much lessor as, we are insolated so well, may hit things and never realize they did. It does not excuse at hit and run but, cyclists have a hell-o-lot more to deal with.

I do not, can not, wont dare to ride anymore out side of my neighborhood's streets, unless It's safe on a sidewalk.

Last edited:
I have a problem with the spandex crowd in our area.They totally disregard stop signs,riding single file,etc. In Indiana bikes have to obey the same rules as cars but they dont. Police usually wont waste time pulling these morons over.I guess they figure the morons will sooner or later get hit.There are bike paths but they think they own the road and dont use them. Maybe I am too sensible and know even if II am in the right a car will always win

There is a nearby 6-lane road, with bike paths on both sides, and relatively few cross streets, but in some of its areas, I prefer to ride on the 5-wheelchairs-wide sidewalk.
If it were just not for the city's program of planting trees in the middle of the sidewalk, (and using thin concrete). [BTW, people don't walk there].

I have a problem with the spandex crowd in our area.They totally disregard stop signs,riding single file,etc. In Indiana bikes have to obey the same rules as cars but they dont. Police usually wont waste time pulling these morons over.I guess they figure the morons will sooner or later get hit.There are bike paths but they think they own the road and dont use them. Maybe I am too sensible and know even if II am in the right a car will always win

I have seen all of the above specially on Sundays with large groups numbering 20-30 riders.

Long time ago, an old guy turns into me, as I was going straight through an intersection and his car caught me and pushed me into his right turn lane. He acted like it was my fault. Got scrapes and bruises.

Back