When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A simple Question?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72895
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in my manufacturing facilities I have all the abilities in house to repilicate/ "rip-off" PERFECT Elgin Bluebirds and or Dayton Huffman Superstreamliners... Why shoulden't I???
I think there would be contraversy if a person did that, but not all bad. It would be similar to those reproduction Borden Spacelanders, or Black Phantoms. Although it would perhaps make it easier for a person to build or restore a Bluebird because now they would have new parts again for the first time in 80 years, some would not like it because it would lower, at least a little bit, the value of their original machines, like what happened with the black phantoms. You would want to have some easily discernable characteristics to your machines that would make it impossible to confuse them with originals, and prevent people who are unscrupulous from passing off reproduction machines for real ones. Its like with the black Phantom, often times, at least here in North Carolina, you can buy a decent real one for the same or less money than for a reproduction, and if you're like me, I would go for an original in that case. That said, it would be fun to have a blue bird to ride around on without fear of scuffing it up, and without breaking the bank. There are pros and cons, as with anything.

So in my manufacturing facilities I have all the abilities in house to repilicate/ "rip-off" PERFECT Elgin Bluebirds and or Dayton Huffman Superstreamliners... Why shoulden't I???
If you can do this would your facility mass produce or do by order only? I assume you could do any bike if you could do the ones you mention. What do you think a Bluebird would have to retail for if you were to do it ? Curious to see other responses.

@Joaquin Suave I say do at least 3 of each, see what it costs and what you'd have to have price wise per frame & per part if you're not producing a whole complete bicycle. I'd love to own even a "rip off" of both but if they're like the Schwinns & $500+ then they need to be quality built & look legit like originals but modern built

@Joaquin Suave I say do at least 3 of each, see what it costs and what you'd have to have price wise per frame & per part if you're not producing a whole complete bicycle. I'd love to own even a "rip off" of both but if they're like the Schwinns & $500+ then they need to be quality built & look legit like originals but modern built

Doing only three each would result in a cost 10 X more at least. Just to have the early Huret solid aluminum spoke protector repopped, 100 would have to be made and then sold for 50 bucks each just to break even.

The devil is in the details. I've yet to see a perfect door latch knob for a BB. The switches, horn, glass headlight lens, would cost sgnificant money to produce and I think it would cost at least 3x the cost of an original to produce. As far as diminishing the value of an original I don't see that. I don't think the repo Phantoms really hurt the value of an original. As long as I'm willing to whip out the big boy wallet finding a BB really isn't a problem. The Super Streamline (not a Firestone) is a different story but frames, seats, stems, and guards have all been reproduced. Personally I see a money losing proposition. V/r Shawn

Do it!! I was thinking of doing the same thing about a month or so ago but I don't have the equipment necessary or time. if you do it post picture of the repop blue bird and if you decide to sell them I would definitely buy one to ride all the time and i bet others would to. Best of luck hope you decide to build them!
(If you ever do build them and sell them pm me.) Again best of luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back