When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A special project, a prewar Rollfast…

-
So, given your new understanding that the wheels where originally painted, I have a few questions for you concerning your restoration process...

1. In retrospect, would you have left the bad re-paint job on the rims?
2. What will you do going forward? Re-paint the rims or leave them unpainted?
1. Probably not. I'm trying to match this little gal to mine, and my wheels are not painted. Would I have like to see original patina 'd chrome under the paint...yes.
2. More than likely we will leave the wheels unpainted.

@Bru, I'll share the results here once all the paint is removed and wheels are all cleaned up. Thanks for the inquiry.
Nice, nice, nice! Love the grand kid connection, nothing better ever than spending one on one time like that!
Thanks @Barto, it is special. I love that she loves to hang out with me. She's growing fast, and I'm sure she will only ride this bike a year, 2 if I'm lucky. But that's okay. I'll keep this little prewar Rollfast until she has her own kids.

Granddaughter 2.jpg

Last edited:
We went on the Rolling Relics Monterey ride on Saturday, so back at it on Sunday.

Just like everything else, the prices of these paint removers in the can are going up in price. So I thought of trying Aircraft in a pint thinking I can do twice as much as one in a spray can. So this weekend, I probably applied not once or twice, but three times, even covering the wheels in plastic so it would stay moist longer. Takes a lot longer time as well applying by brush. Did it help? Maybe a little bit, but didn’t seem to make a whole lot of difference. And since I was in it just shy of $30, just use it up. It’s possible too that the original 85 year old paint is just a bear to remove. No matter how many applications later, just didn’t seem to remove what was left on the hoops.

05 new process of removing paint.jpg

Not a fan of this stuff in a can

05b new process of removing paint.jpg

Application #3 results

05c new process of removing paint.jpg

Keep it going

05d new process of removing paint.jpg

Hoped this would have helped. Not much difference.

05e new process of removing paint.jpg

Application #4 results

05f new process of removing paint.jpg

Might as well use up what was left

Very cool little bike! Love the patina and color match to yours. You inspired me to get back on my little 20" again. View attachment 1702068
@sccruiser thanks. We are excited to get her on the rode. I hope you do Dave. We can have the two side by side one day at one of the Rolling Relics rides. Was hopping to see you in Monterey this past weekend.

Last edited:
We went on the Rolling Relics Monterey ride on Saturday, so back at it on Sunday.

Just like everything else, the prices of these paint removers in the can are going up in price. So I thought of trying Aircraft in a pint thinking I can do twice as much as one in a spray can. So this weekend, I probably applied not once or twice, but three times, even covering the wheels in plastic so it would stay moist longer. Takes a lot longer time as well applying by brush. Did it help? Maybe a little bit, but didn’t seem to make a whole lot of difference. And since I was in it just shy of $30, just use it up. It’s possible too that the original 85 year old paint is just a bear to remove. No matter how many applications later, just didn’t seem to remove what was left on the hoops.
in my recent paint stripper experience I would say they changed the formulas for all these strippers from 10 years ago and it no longer works like it used to. I have used Jasco's for years with good results until the latest try.

my Grandfather was a rock collector☹️

Very cool little bike! Love the patina and color match to yours. You inspired me to get back on my little 20" again. View attachment 1702068
Dave @sccruiser, just noticed yours is a straight downtube too. Interesting on the years for the fastback design and yours. The fork looks the same as is the crank sprocket but slight difference in crank arm shape. Wondering too if your fork wheel axle mounts are enclosed. The front sprocket is the same, but slight difference in crank shape.

I've been watching your thread Eddie very cool little bike. Here's my early post war 1946 big boy version, I like the Camelback frames and Rollfast bicycles. Looking good man keep up the good work.

Sean

View attachment 1702477
Thanks Sean @stezell. Appreciate it. Being one of my first prewar bikes, I am a fan of these as well. I do find the flat fender braces on yours interesting for a 46 though. Nice bike Sean.

Back