When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A special project, a prewar Rollfast…

-
Done removing the paint from the rims. I went back to buying Goof Off paint/graffiti remover. Not only did it do a better job removing the paint, it was cleaner, and faster when it came to applying. Works a lot better for this type of application. Some 000 steel wool with WD40, I was able to remove all the paint. Lesson learned and two days lost, stay with what you know works.

06 Final paint removal.jpg

06a Final paint removal.jpg

And since we were still working on the wheels, my granddaughter helped with cleaning the spokes and nibs using 0000 steel wool and WD40. I spent some time beforehand removing the thick layer of dirt and grease from the hubs. I think Bluey’s wheels turned out great for what we were trying to accomplish, and that was to match the wheels on Levi. It’s better than I expected, and by far a better look than painted.

07 Cleaning hubs, spokes, and nipplesl.jpg

07a Cleaning hubs, spokes, and nipplesl.jpg

Thanks Sean @stezell. Appreciate it. Being one of my first prewar bikes, I am a fan of these as well. I do find the flat fender braces on yours interesting for a 46 though. Nice bike Sean.
Thanks Eddie it also has several wartime parts, I'm thinking they were using up parts they had left over.

For as long as I’ve owned Levi, she has always had white walls. I’ve placed a wanted ad looking for vintage 20” balloon tires for Bluey with no avail. So shopping online, I decided to purchase new white wall tires with Goodyear tread design. At the Rolling Relics Alameda ride end of August, I picked up some really cool white walls from a friend, that classic aged yellowing of the white wall, Allstate Safety Tread tires, in pretty decent shape very subtle rubber condition. He said these tires came originally from his 30s Columbia, which he brought to the SF ride. I thought maybe we could use these on Levi replacing the current white wall tires. After install, they are definitely larger than most filling in the fender opening nicely. These tires are awesome and rode comfortably well too, not to mention they have great aged appeal.

Then recently, I had a few of my old bikes with drop stands lined up (no picture unfortunately), and other than Levi, the rest of the bikes wore vintage black wall tires. Levi seemed out of place, so I asked myself, “How would Levi look with blackwall tires since I’ve never seen her otherwise?” And since I’m more of a blackwall tire fan anyway, I went ahead and replaced them with same brand and model tires, Allstate Safety Tread, but in blackwall. Ah man, I love the look even more. Gives her more of an attitude I thought, so blackwall tires stays.

Now that Levi has blackwall tires, the new whitewall 20” tires are no longer needed. Back online and found these blackwall tires, slick design but with 2 grooves, one on the each side, not quite the same as the 4 grooves on the Allstate Safety Tread, but close enough. “This would work,” I told myself. So I ordered them. Well they arrived. Excited to see what they look like, opened the package and so far so good. But once I put my hand on the tires, I had a funny feeling something wasn’t right. These seem smaller than the standard balloon sized tires. Double checked and they do read 20 x 2.125 on the sidewall. Went ahead and installed the new tires, and I felt this wasn’t what I had hoped, felt like a middle weight. Mocked the rear wheel just hanging in place since the rear hub didn’t have the guts setup yet, and I can see so much space within the fender opening and tires. Didn’t like it. So disappointed, these new tires will not cut it for me. I thought now, I really need to find original vintage Made in the USA 20” balloon tires for Bluey.

08 white walls or black walls.jpg

Look how much more these tires fill in the fender opening.

08a white walls or black walls.jpg

These white wall Allstate Safety tires do look pretty cool on Levi...

08b white walls or black walls.jpg

...but the black wall Allstate tires gives her more attitude IMO.

08c white walls or black walls.jpg

Vintage Allstate Safety tread pattern

08d white walls or black walls.jpg

New slicks that supposedly are 20 x 2.125. Not so

08e white walls or black walls.jpg

I inquired last week with @my560sec. Ed knew I was looking for 20” balloon tires, and on the last day he was at ML, he found an NOS set for me. I’ll take anything vintage 20” balloons at this point. Already on its way, and hoping they will arrive by this weekend.

08g white walls or black walls.jpg

08h white walls or black walls.jpg

08f white walls or black walls.jpg

08i white walls or black walls.jpg

These NOS 20" tires are going to look great on Bluey. Can't wait to get them. Thanks much Ed.

Last edited:
I am trying to get Bluey done by this weekend's local gathering, C.O.B.O.A's Folsom Ride organized by @The Hat. Granted if the tires will arrive in time, I will prepare just in case. I only have my granddaughter, if I'm lucky, a few hours this week between after school activities and possibly Saturday afternoon. Of course I'm not going to miss Jim's @JAF/CO swap Saturday morning. Got a few things up my sleeve for this project, so we will see.

Now that the wheels are done, just a few images breaking down Bluey.

09 Breaking down Bluey.jpg

09a Breaking down Bluey.jpg

Once I loosened the pedals, she did the rest

09b Breaking down Bluey.jpg

Showed her the "just turn the crank and follow with the pedal wrench"

09c Breaking down Bluey.jpg

09d Breaking down Bluey.jpg

removing the crank set

Last edited:
Not sure what these grips would have looked like in its original condition. Anyone? Anyway, wasn't easy to remove; really was on there pretty good. Interesting too how they extended the bars just a little. Keeping the home made extensions on.

10 original grips.jpg

10a original grips.jpg

10b removing the original grips.jpg

Not sure what these grips would have looked like in its original condition. Anyone? Anyway, wasn't easy to remove; really was on there pretty good. Interesting too how they extended the bars just a little. Keeping the home made extensions on.

View attachment 1703145

View attachment 1703146

View attachment 1703147
This is a really cool project! I think my next build will be a rollfast. Another brand I don’t own! Just curious, what’s going to happen to the Allstate whitewalls (26”)?

This is a really cool project! I think my next build will be a rollfast. Another brand I don’t own! Just curious, what’s going to happen to the Allstate whitewalls (26”)?
@MrMonark13 thanks. We are having fun with the project so far. Not sure on the Allstate white walls. But just in case I need some good looking aged whitewalls, I'll hold on to them for now.

We did a lot yesterday afternoon again trying to get her done for the weekend’s ride. Picked her up from school, had a snack to eat, then went at it for a couple of hours before parents picked her up.

Instead of leaving the bike as is, I decided to go ahead and clean up Bluey. Plus, I’m trying to match the condition of Levi, and she presents a cleaner look. For the crankset, we just removed the surface rust with 000 steel wool and WD40. There was heavy rust on the bars, so I used the gel Metal Rescue. Did this twice, and we finished bars/stem and crankset at the same time. Happy with the results with missing chrome, not as much, on the crankset like Levi. The bars look nickel plated too, which is pretty cool.

11 cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

11a cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

11b cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

Covered bar with Saran wrap overnight after applying Metal Rescue Gel

11ba cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

Results after two applications of Metal Gel, brass brush, rinse, and wipe

11d cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

Finishing up the crankset and bars with 000 steel wool and WD40

11e cleaning up the bars and crankset.jpg

Results. I dig the patina on the crankset.

Last edited:
This was mostly my doing since I didn’t want her around heavy solvents. There was brushed-on house paint here and there, especially at the tip of the front fender and tail of the rear fender. Just used acetone to remove being careful with the pins of course. With this bike though and a lot of missing paint, didn’t matter much. Though the finish is now a little brighter, happier with the results rather than seeing the brushed-on house paint.

12 Removing brushed on paint.jpg

Some paint on the top tube near the headset

12a Removing brushed on paint.jpg

After

12b Removing brushed on paint.jpg

I know....pretty bad, but at least I straightened out the edges of the tail and front fender tip

12c Removing brushed on paint.jpg

after

12d Removing brushed on paint.jpg

Front fender

12e Removing brushed on paint.jpg

brushed paint removed

12f cleaning up the fenders.jpg

Before straightening of the braces

12f fenders cleaned and braces straightened.jpg

ready for assembly

12g fenders cleaned and braces straightened.jpg

I dig these braces for easy adjustability

Last edited:
Time to cleanup the bearings and races. I was talking with Steve @ballooney not too long ago, and he shared images of how super clean his Morrow parts came out. Tyler @mr.cycleplane mentioned it a while back, and he does the same thing when cleaning parts are needed. So I decided to finally buy myself an ultrasonic cleaner. Why did I wait so long? This thing is so awesome. It really does an incredible job without using any harsh chemicals, plus my granddaughter enjoys loading up the basket and putting it in the cleaner.

13 Cleaning bearings and races.jpg

13b Cleaning bearings and races.jpg

13c Bearings and races all cleaned.jpg

I purposely did not use the ultrasonic cleaner on the items that were exposed, but only cleaned the insides on those parts. Wanted to keep the uncleaned look in the same area just like Levi. My granddaughter really like this process where it went in the cleaner black and dirty and comes out so clean. The heavy caked on old grease took a couple of sessions to get them totally cleaned.

Last edited:
Back