When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A special project, a prewar Rollfast…

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Everyone else has already said it, but I'll say it too. Your posts are the best. So much fun seeing a project come together in great documentation. And love your granddaughter being so happy about it. Good job Eddie !
Thanks Frank @Frank and Pam Skid Kings for the comment. Really appreciate that. Add my granddaughter in this, it was definitively another fun bike experience for me. I’ll see you in March my friend.

I had purchased a few items for "Bluey" my granddaughter's prewar Rollfast Playcycle, items to even make her bike more like mine. The big Rolling Relics SF ride is this weekend, and my granddaughter wants to go. I’m getting her “Bluey” ready. Yesterday, I updated a couple of items on her bike.

You know me, I love super wide bars. A while back, @Hastings was selling a 24” Torrington wide bars. I thought let’s put those on Bluey to match the wide bars on mine. Then @Hastings had the same stem like mine, very used patina’ d condition matching the rest of the bike. I bought that too. So yesterday I replaced the bars and stem.

01a Original bars and stem.jpg

01b Original bars and stem.jpg

These are the original nickel plated bars that came with Bluey, which are really cool bars. I plan to use these for our other prewar 20" project.

02 24 inch Torrington Bars.jpeg

02a 24 inch Torrington Bars.jpeg

02b 24 inch Torrington Bars.jpeg

02c 24 inch Torrington Bars.jpg

03 Stem from Hastings.jpg

03a Stem from Hastings.jpg

Bars and stem before cleanup

03b Levi's stem.jpg

Stem from my bike

03c Bluey's new stem.jpg

New old stem to match. I shortened the length of the stem lowering the height of the bars.

04 inch Torrington Bars.jpeg.jpg

04a 24 inch Torrington Bars.jpeg.jpg

New look, wide bars and stem

A few more items to setup this evening.

Last edited:
What do I like more than super wide bars….cross braced wide bars. The wide steerhorn cross braced bars on my Rollfast are 31” wide. So, browsing online, I saw these crossbars for a juvenile sidewalk bike. I thought how cool it would be to have a cross brace wide bar like mine on a prewar 20” bike. It has a smaller diameter crossbar and the same brace setup too. Hell yeah, so I bought it.

05 juvenile crossbrace.jpg

05a juvenile crossbrace.jpg

Lucky to find this crossbar online

Because this old crossbar was for a juvenile bike, the wrap around bracket wouldn’t fit around the standard size 1” diameter bars. So had to expand and drill out the holes just a tad to make it work.

05b Junior sidewalk crossbrace.jpg

05c Junior sidewalk crossbrace.jpg

Had to drill out the hole a bit and expand the brackets.

06a new wide crossbars for Bluey.jpg

06b new wide crossbars for Bluey.jpg

I'm thrilled with the wide braced bars on Bluey. I love the look.

07 Standard badge.JPG

07a Standard badge.JPG

Earlier this year, CABEr @Gordon was selling the same Standard head badge as mine, so had to buy the badge to match. Thanks Gordon.

07b original Rollfast badge.jpg

Original badge on "Bluey"

07c new Standard badge.jpg

"Bluey's new Standard badge

Last edited:
What do I like more than super wide bars….cross braced wide bars. The wide steerhorn cross braced bars on my Rollfast are 31” wide. So, browsing online, I saw these crossbars for a juvenile sidewalk bike. I thought how cool it would be to have a cross brace wide bar like mine on a prewar 20” bike. It has a smaller diameter crossbar and the same brace setup too. Hell yeah, so I bought it.

View attachment 1876371

View attachment 1876372

Because this old crossbar was for a juvenile bike, the wrap around bracket wouldn’t fit around the standard size 1” diameter bars. So had to expand and drill out the holes just a tad to make it work.

View attachment 1876374

View attachment 1876375

I'm thrilled with the look of the wide braced bars on Bluey.

View attachment 1876376

View attachment 1876377

Earlier this year, CABEr @Gordon was selling the same Standard head badge as mine, so had to buy the badge to match.

View attachment 1876378

View attachment 1876379

View attachment 1876380

View attachment 1876381
Nice work Eddie! Hope the granddaughter loves it!

Bluey and Levi are ready for this weekend's big Rolling Relics SF ride

08 Bluey's braced bars and Standard badge.jpg

09 Levi and Bluey.jpg

09a Rollfast ad.jpg

Looking at this prewar Rollfast ad, I noticed they used the finger grips, so....

09b love braced bars.jpg

...removed these coke bottle grips and...

10a Levi and Bluey.jpg

...replaced with these prewar finger grips that I found from the Marin swap meet a couple months ago.

10b Levi and Bluey.jpg

That's it for now. I have one more thing to do

Last edited:
Bluey and Levi are ready for this weekend's big Rolling Relics SF ride

View attachment 1876391

View attachment 1876392

View attachment 1876393
Looking at this prewar Rollfast ad, I noticed they used the finger grips, so....

View attachment 1876394
...removed these coke bottle grips and...

View attachment 1876395
...replaced with these prewar finger grips that I found from the Marin swap meet a couple months ago.

View attachment 1876396
That's it for now. I have one more thing to do
Excellent work here Eddie!!! Very special! I have a '36 Standard badged as well to get on the road some day. I've not seen another until yours!

20230223_112613.jpg

Nice work Eddie! Hope the granddaughter loves it!
Thanks Dave. Once I add one more thing to her bike, for sure she will love her Bluey even more.
Excellent work here Eddie!!! Very special! I have a '36 Standard badged as well to get on the road some day. I've not seen another until yours!

View attachment 1876397
That’s cool @Gully. I was going to use another Rollfast badge, I have an extra one too, so both our bikes match. Then @Gordon’s came up. You’re right, these Standard badges doesn’t come up often. Hope you find a killer Rollfast to put yours on.

That’s cool @Gully. I was going to use another Rollfast badge, I have an extra one too, so both our bikes match. Then @Gordon’s came up. You’re right, these Standard badges doesn’t come up often. Hope you find a killer Rollfast to put yours on.
@Eddie_Boy I actually have the bike the badge was on. It's a red 1936 fastback with the collet seat post. Pretty rough but should be a nice patina bike. 4 or 5 projects back but someday it'll be on the road! Thanks for keeping this thread going! Cool to see!

Back