When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A special project, a prewar Rollfast…

-
One last thing we did together yesterday. “It’s time to grease up the headset and bottom bracket bearings and races,” I told her. Opening up a brand new can of Mobil 1 full synthetic grease replacing the one I had for many years before I ran out, we started on the headset parts.

Once we were done with that, I had removed my gloves since they were tearing. Then I went ahead and started to grease up the larger open bearing cases for the bottom bracket. She saw I wasn’t using any gloves and she wanted to do the same. I don’t blame her; I like to feel stuff in my hands so gloves aren’t my favorite thing, but I use them because my wife says so. Plus the gloves we got for my granddaughter are a little big and she doesn’t like them, a little hard to do the small stuff. But I told her that you have to use them; your mom would be upset with me otherwise, plus we don’t want any of that grease on your skin. She begged, but I stood firm. You know kids, they like to feel things and seeing that Mobil 1 grease in pretty dark pink, what kid wouldn’t want to.

14 greasing up the headset.jpg

14a greasing up the headset.jpg

This was hard for her. She doesn't like these gloves.

14b time to setup the fork.jpg

"I want to do it," she insisted. So I had to remove the top race so she can do it from the start.

14c time to setup the fork.jpg

15 greasing bottom bracket.jpg

As you can see, my granddaughter isn’t wearing any shoes or slippers. I know…it’s not good. She had her slippers on earlier, but while we were greasing up the bottom bracket bearings she was right beside me. I didn’t even say anything when she came out, but all she said was, “I don’t want anything on my feet.” That’s all she had to say, so yeah, bare foot while installing the crankset.

15a installing the crankset.jpg

Something doesn't look right here....anyone?

To answer my previous post here, this is what happened.

That night when we put the crankset on the bike, I didn't realize what we had done earlier that afternoon. I then realized that we setup the crankset on the wrong side. Oh well, it happens. I went ahead and corrected it the next day. Maybe I should have waited and corrected with her.

15b crankset on the wrong side.jpg

After I got Bluey months ago, I was browsing eBay. I happen to see some parts from a prewar Rollfast that Bicyclebones was selling, but from a 24” bike. I see these trusses. Then I thought, how cool would it be to have trusses on ours. Different forks of course, but same top truss bracket. I said to myself, “I think this will work.” So I bought it. After several months hanging on our fence, a few hours after work, my friend and I finished it up last night. It worked just as I pictured. Because of the different fork design, wasn’t able to use the truss plate, but that’s okay. Maybe down the road, we can fabricate one later. But in the meantime, I’m very happy how it came out. Patina matches the bike and looks similar to Levi, which was the goal. And it looks like it was original to the bike. I’m digging it.

16 trusses for a 24 inch Rollfast.jpg

You can see the trusses hanging on the fence. Picture taken in June when I got this '36 La Salle

16a adding truss rods.jpg

Mock up of the trusses with brackets from a 24" Rollfast bike

17 adding truss rods.jpg

Discussing with a couple of friends, we went with option 2. Rather than cutting down to size and then welding the rods back together, we decided to bend and thread the rods.

17a adding truss rods.jpg

17b adding truss rods.jpg

Simulating the same bend and radius as Levi.

17c adding truss rods.jpg

measure twice, cut once...

17d threading the trusses.jpg

5/16 NF 24 thread. This process was a workout.

17e threading the trusses.jpg

17f cut to size.jpg

Ready for test fit

17g test fit.jpg

Success. Looks awesome.

Next up...a drop stand for this little girl.

Last edited:
After I got Bluey months ago, I was browsing eBay. I happen to see some parts from a prewar Rollfast that Bicyclebones was selling, but from a 24” bike. I see these trusses. Then I thought, how cool would it be to have trusses on ours. Different forks of course, but same top truss bracket. I said to myself, “I think this will work.” So I bought it. After several months hanging on our fence, a few hours after work, my friend and I finished it up last night. It worked just as I pictured. Because of the different fork design, wasn’t able to use the truss plate, but that’s okay. Maybe down the road, we can fabricate one later. But in the meantime, I’m very happy how it came out. Patina matches the bike and looks similar to Levi, which was the goal. And it looks like it was original to the bike. I’m digging it.

View attachment 1704169
You can see the trusses hanging on the fence. Picture taken in June when I got this '36 La Salle

View attachment 1704170
Mock up of the trusses with brackets from a 24" Rollfast bike

View attachment 1704171
Discussing with a couple of friends, we went with option 2. Rather than cutting down to size and then welding the rods back together, we decided to bend and thread the rods.

View attachment 1704172

View attachment 1704173
Simulating the same bend and radius as Levi.

View attachment 1704174
measure twice, cut once...

View attachment 1704175
5/16 NF 24 thread. This process was a workout.

View attachment 1704176

View attachment 1704177
Ready for test fit

View attachment 1704178
Success. Looks awesome.

Next up...a drop stand for this little girl.
Those came out awesome!!

After @JAF/CO meet, it was time to get back on Bluey. Again trying to get her done before today’s COBOA ride here in Folsom.

Did most of the drop stand Friday afternoon which was a big deal for me having a drop stand on a 20" bike. Mostly the finishing touches yesterday, making sure Bluey was in good riding condition for my granddaughter. But here’s what I did on the drop stand.

18a drop stand for Bluey.jpg

This rusty stand is narrower than most, which was a perfect stand to modify for this little 20" bike

18b drop stand for Bluey.jpg

Removing the rust

18c drop stand for Bluey.jpg

Mock up of the stand from a 26" to a 20" bike

18d drop stand for Bluey.jpg

Cut to size after measuring several times

18e drop stand for Bluey.jpg

after shaping, final result. This stand's profile too matches Levi's which is cool.

I had to do it. Didn't have the brute strength to get the front wheel on being that's this very stout front fork was for a 20". Even with some help we were able, but it was such a chore. What happens if we need to change out the tube? So I decided to create new drop outs for Bluey. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

19 cutting for fork drop out.jpg

19a cutting for fork drop out.jpg

20 first time on the drop stand.jpg

First time on the stand.

Was going to use the original pedals, but I found these in June at the neighborhood Union City bike and car swap meet.

22b first time on the drop stand.jpg

Pretty cool original pedals

22 first time on the drop stand.jpg

22a first time on the drop stand.jpg

I happen to find these pedals back in June during the neighborhood car and bike swap meet in Union City. They are the exact pedals as on Levi. Pretty cool.

Back