When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A study in bicycle grips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
One of the most delicate and oft overlooked subtleties of the ca. 1900 US bicycle tradition can be found at either end of the handlebar.

I thought a thread dedicated to original adverts and excellent survivor examples of grips was overdue.

I will start with a group of adverts from the window of 1895 - 1917 or thereabouts

1896 Truslow & Co grips.jpg

1897 Boggs grip.jpg

1897 Fiber Buckskin Grips.png

1897 Hartley and Graham Pearl Grips and Sundries.jpg

1897 Lend Pneumatic Grip.png

1897 LM Jones Cork and Corkine grips.jpg

1897 Merry Pneumatic Grip.png

1901 Hartford Rubber Grips.jpg

1917 Liberty Grips.jpg

Codling Composite Cork Grip.png

McCready's Cork Handle Grips.jpg

Warren Grip Worcester MA.jpg

Felt Bicycle Grips.jpg

Corn Cob Grips.png

One of the most delicate and oft overlooked subtleties of the ca. 1900 US bicycle tradition can be found at either end of the handlebar.

I thought a thread dedicated to original adverts and excellent survivor examples of grips was overdue.

I will start with a group of adverts from the window of 1895 - 1917 or thereabouts

View attachment 1570549

View attachment 1570550

View attachment 1570551

View attachment 1570552

View attachment 1570553

View attachment 1570554

View attachment 1570555

View attachment 1570556

View attachment 1570557

View attachment 1570558

View attachment 1570559

View attachment 1570560

View attachment 1570561

View attachment 1570562
Loving the inflatable versions.

Jesse this thread will also be a great reference to identify unknown grips someone may have, Thanks ( I have none that early). I do have some from the 40s - 60s, Are they to new for this thread?
I am not opposed to that, if folks would like to expand the date range we can have the thread moved to general discussion.
Another option would be another 'study' thread over in the ballooner category. No worries on my end either way.

🧐I am not opposed to that, if folks would like to expand the date range we can have the thread moved to general discussion.
Another option would be another 'study' thread over in the ballooner category. No worries on my end either way.
There are already two grip threads in the general section. It would seem a pre-1933 and separate post 1933 threads are in order.
Why not stick to your pre-1917 (or 1933) focus mentioned above so the thread isn’t polluted with Snoopy, gnome, tiger, and penis head grips as the other is in the general section?

Last edited:
Here's a great page from ca. 1918 that shows a nice wide range of grips whose design spans decades into the past and future from this point.

Worth reading the descriptions closely, the "Bull Dog" grips make mention that the "shape affords a Bull Dog Grip which is of great assistance to hill climbing"

1918 Diamond Catalog Grips.jpg

Back