When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tip on wrapping your bars.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brutuskend

I live for the CABE
Buy some 1 inch heat shrink and cut a couple of pieces about 1 1/2 long, remove your brake levers and slide the heat shrink on then re install your levers, wrap your bars and instead of taping to finish use just enough tape to keep the ends from unraveling then slip the heat shrink over the ends and heat. No unraveling, no sticky tape residue and a nice clean finish!

my buddy has been doing that forever - he even found blue shrink tubing to use on his daughter's project '85 Shogun
OTRBPgg.jpg

but twine wraps are worth the effort because the result is classy
hDVGDMM.jpg

o1oHpw6.jpg

SEbz5VC.jpg

this bar has 8 twine wraps
E0XMVWT.jpg

also used as spacers between the controls
CgLgpKn.jpg

turn down the volume on this video, and twine wraps start at 2:38

Last edited:
The key to getting bar wrap really right is disconnect the hooded brake levers from their mounting clamp - can use tape to keep the clamp band in the right place on the bars - and reinstall the levers after the wrap is done.
bXNIDT2.jpg

Last edited:
I hate wrapping handlebars I always seem to get one side perfect and then goof up on the other side. However I am a fan of the twine finish with some shellac.
Hah! That's what happens to me too! The second side always goes better, I should start there. Hah! :tonguewink:

I do the upper and lower portions of the bars separately, starting at the 'free' end (end of hooks and near stem respectively), and finish off tucking the free ends of the tape under the full brake hoods - would't work with half hoods, of course. Done this since I started with Universal levers on Mafac Racer centre pulls way back in 1965.

Back