When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A very sad sight

-

williebill

Look Ma, No Hands!
Moving stuff around my bike shop after 50 years in the same spot. Remembering and finding a few treasures along the way. This isn't one. Cobwebs are original, and it's been on top of a big rack in the back of the shop for over 30 years, since I saved it from going to the dump. Hoping one of the experts on here can tell me about it. Aluminum frame, broken in 2 pieces, Elgin head badge, elegant stem, IMHO. So who made the frame, and how old is this relic? If it was a car, I'd expect it to be called yard art, but... Sad. Any ideas?

elginaluminum1.jpg

elginaluminum2.jpg

elginaluminum3.jpg

elginaluminum4.jpg

elginaluminum5.jpg

Definitely a rare bike, for reasons on display here.
They didn’t stand the test of time under regular use, so now, they are seldom seen.
Complete survivor examples are best relegated to wall hanger conversation pieces.
Any attempt to repair this one is somewhat pointless.
I would leave it as is.
It’s story is in its originality.
For better or worse.

That's aluminum corrosion (think rust like on steel). It's on both the outside and the inside of the tubes. It all has to be cleaned off in order to get a good clean TIG weld. If you can get it stuck back together, it's going to look patched up because of the cleaning, and still not be rideable.

It's a cool wall hanger, enjoy it for the cool factor.

John

Back