When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actually Riding Your Classic or Antique Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I see many aparrently riding their classic bikes for miles on end...
Ok, I get the comfort. Seating position, easy reach to the handlebars, comfy seat (maybe). Styling. Sounds good.
Its the gearing that gets me.
On a 50 pound bike (any Schwinn is a tank and I imagine others are too), one gear is a bastardization (and of course the way it was).
What looks to me is a 46x18 seems to be a popular ratio of gear/inches. Unless you are on the flat (or slightly downhill, tailwind etc), that ratio is useless. Start heading uphill, for me its stand and torque or turn around. You can't turn that gear fast enough.
Too many corroded chains & cracked tires for a dependable ride IMO.
So I'm guessing flat neighborhood rides mostly, and use another bike for actual fitness or pleasure rides. Are classic bike collectors even fit? (no offense meant)
To me... 2, 3 or 5 plus gears make for a much more enjoyable ride.
I am all for a sneaker 2 or 3 speed hub, damn the originality for actually having a better riding bike.

I like birdzgarage bikes. Generally multi gear riders, and my aim for my own rider. Other than that, I ride a multi gear gravel grinder for knocking out miles.
Whats say you all?
So much this.

That said, I have to be able to ride all of my bikes, even if it is just around the neighborhood.

While I don't ride on old tires any more, cracked chains are a big issue. There's also just the effort that you pay to avoiding bumps in the road, for fear of possible damage to the bike - it takes away from the fun of the ride. I've also found when I try to put in a bit more effort to go up a hill and everything creaks - it's scary - I just imagine the possible cost of parts that I might break.

It's part of what I really like about my new - albeit heavily modified - Orange Krate. Yes, the handlebars sometimes flex when I pull on them, but if they bend? Warranty!

Sturmey Archer has been making three speed hubs since 1902, and they were a factory option on so many bikes, so they're totally fair game.

Part of my problem is just that, while my weight is totally average for my height, I'm about 80 pounds over what many of these bicycles were designed for.

-------------------

People who ride your bicycles long distance, how do you deal with the possibility of component failure when you are riding? It's not like you can just ride home.

I always try to maintain that all my bikes are rideable on any given day! Pump up and go! If parts brake, well that's just part of it! I've never had a parts fail on me (knock on wood) except for a couple old tires! Fixed that problem by putting heavy duty tube's in everything, ads weight o course but old tires don't come apart like with the thin tubes which can squeeze through little cracks and blems! Ride on!!

I think for the vintage bike rider-half is the enjoyment of keeping these tanks rolling-the other half is perhaps to 'show-off' our collectable bikes-a peak into the not so distant past so to speak. You have to know there is something to it when a pack of old bikes-or maybe you're just by yourself-and a flock of people surround your bike and remember a time when they rode one of these bikes. The vintage bike hobby has a wide range of tastes and bikes are priced for every budget. In many cases the antique-vintage-classic bicycle has more appeal and relatability than the collectable car or motorcycle!

So much this.

That said, I have to be able to ride all of my bikes, even if it is just around the neighborhood.

While I don't ride on old tires any more, cracked chains are a big issue. There's also just the effort that you pay to avoiding bumps in the road, for fear of possible damage to the bike - it takes away from the fun of the ride. I've also found when I try to put in a bit more effort to go up a hill and everything creaks - it's scary - I just imagine the possible cost of parts that I might break.

It's part of what I really like about my new - albeit heavily modified - Orange Krate. Yes, the handlebars sometimes flex when I pull on them, but if they bend? Warranty!

Sturmey Archer has been making three speed hubs since 1902, and they were a factory option on so many bikes, so they're totally fair game.

Part of my problem is just that, while my weight is totally average for my height, I'm about 80 pounds over what many of these bicycles were designed for.

-------------------

People who ride your bicycles long distance, how do you deal with the possibility of component failure when you are riding? It's not like you can just ride home.
If the bike is serviced and tuned properly you shouldn't have creaking or worrying about it breaking down. I know some of us ride our stuff and surely aren't babying it. The pics I posted above are a restored Bluebird, a restored Dayton Super Streamline and the one with no hands is flying down a parking garage on my '40 Dayton Twin Flex. Of all the rides I've been on the worst I had happen so far was a crank nut backing off, a froze pedal, and a blowout riding old rubber. Except for the blowout I was able to complete the rides. I no longer ride vintage rubber for this reason.

When I get a bike (most of the time) whether restored or not I completely tear it down and go through everything to include inspecting the chain and other parts for wear, truing rims, and making sure everything is straight . If I find something wrong I replace it or fix it. Bearings and chains are easy to come by. Most of the bikes I own are deluxe, prewar ballooners so not cheap but I'm not going to ride a bike like its a piece of glass--that would ruin the fun! These things were meant to ride and to me that's where the real enjoyment of collecting these is. Hell I've probably put more miles on either my Super Streamline or Aerocycle than most people have their 'riders'. Jus my 2c V/r Shawn

I guess, it just depends on the old bike itself, and what it’s intended purpose was for.
If you want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, then you need to be on a purpose built bike.
If your goal is to deliver the morning news, then something beefy with a lot of carrying capacity should be your steed of choice.
If cruising the boardwalk and looking at bikinis is your pleasure, then a big cushy saddle and an upright handlebar is in order.
The World is what you make it, so if your current bike isn’t doing it for you, then figure out why and make some changes.
That’s what the parts and accessories catalog was for.
Enjoy the ride!

I appreciate enjoy the replies. There's more than meets the eye when riding one of these bikes I would guess. Seen a few broken cranks - ouch for an old collector! Long live the bombproof one piece Schhwinn crank!!!
I have always been an 'efficient' pedaler. It also applies to my Corvette I am refreshing. Nice efficient greased hubs. Clean chain & sprockets. Tensioned wheels. It came with the 3spd SA so bonus there. Gives the ability to hoon around semi swiftly in a bmx fashion (for me anyway).
I enjoy some of these older bikes that look to have fresh wheels on them in a subtle way. Beauty.
I count grams on tires (always have). Diamond & brick tread tires are about 1000+ grams. I have a pair.
I also found some more modern balloon if you will tires at 850 grams lol. Mental advantage for my rolling weight disease.
Of course on my Corvette bike only the frame, rear hub & crank will be original. I am only looking for a large Sting Ray type cruiser.
Fun stuff. I like bikes and I like to pedal.

If the bike is serviced and tuned properly you shouldn't have creaking or worrying about it breaking down. I know some of us ride our stuff and surely aren't babying it. The pics I posted above are a restored Bluebird, a restored Dayton Super Streamline and the one with no hands is flying down a parking garage on my '40 Dayton Twin Flex. Of all the rides I've been on the worst I had happen so far was a crank nut backing off, a froze pedal, and a blowout riding old rubber. Except for the blowout I was able to complete the rides. I no longer ride vintage rubber for this reason.

When I get a bike (most of the time) whether restored or not I completely tear it down and go through everything to include inspecting the chain and other parts for wear, truing rims, and making sure everything is straight . If I find something wrong I replace it or fix it. Bearings and chains are easy to come by. Most of the bikes I own are deluxe, prewar ballooners so not cheap but I'm not going to ride a bike like its a piece of glass--that would ruin the fun! These things were meant to ride and to me that's where the real enjoyment of collecting these is. Hell I've probably put more miles on either my Super Streamline or Aerocycle than most people have their 'riders'. Jus my 2c V/r Shawn

Solid advice!

What you've said is really interesting.

Do you find that you are able to recover these costs when you move your bicycles on to new homes, or is it for you just part of the cost of your enjoyment of the hobby?

My personal rule is that, overall, I'm not allowed to lose money on my bicycle habit. Some bikes I come out a bit ahead and some bikes a bit behind. This leads to me being far more conservative than many about which parts of a bicycle I repair. What you're saying, however, makes me start to think that having a creaky old bike is a choice, and not a given.

Both yours and mine are legitimate choices.

As I think about it, it's not unlike the situation I have with my significant other and our respective vehicles. I have a twelve year old minivan with 200,000 miles on the clock. They have a five year old Japanese sedan with under 50,000 miles. I'm totally good with a couple lights on on the dash, some noises, and a few electrical components that don't work. This would drive my significant other insane. They had a much bigger cash outlay on their purchase. Me, I'm making regular payments to my mechanic. Same basic situation.

This leads me to two big conclusions:
1. I can choose to accept that my old bicycles will be creaky and feel old, or I can choose to learn new skills (and probably acquire some new tools).
2. That if I want greater reliability in my old bicycles, that my time might be well spent looking for values on maintenance parts for them instead of looking for new bikes.

Thank you!

Back