When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actually Riding Your Classic or Antique Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My outlook is, if it was fine for them back then, its fine for me now.
I guess Im more hard-nosed than most but to me its not about comfort....if it was about comfort I wouldnt be riding 80 year old bikes. I choose to accept the issues that come with riding old bikes because I want my bike to be exactly as it was back then even down to original tires. ....and Ive got 100's of miles on some of mine and 20-30 on others that will soon be 100's when i find some free time.
When I get to the point where I cant ride my old bikes as they were intended, then I hope my next move is the funeral home.

...but then again, thats just me and how I prefer to be. Alot of my close friends upgrade to gears and bigger seats and all that nonsense but thats what they want out of their experience. ....and thats fine for them. Just not me....

I want not only the old bike, but I want the full old experience. I want to ride it and feel like Im back there when the bike was new.

47-20 would not be a bad place to start. Many of the old balloon tire bikes actually have higher gearing than that - 48-18, 52-18, etc.

47-20 will still be a little high for hilly areas, but should be fine on flat terrain.

47-20 would not be a bad place to start. Many of the old balloon tire bikes actually have higher gearing than that - 48-18, 52-18, etc.

47-20 will still be a little high for hilly areas, but should be fine on flat terrain.
It’s mostly flat where I’m at except for a few very slight short inclines here and there but very minor.

Make No Mistake I can pedal any of these old vintage metal beasts the way they were originally but the difference is I do want to enjoy them. I damn sure wouldn't be pedaling up let's say no 14% grade hill in the Blue Ridge Parkway or coming down it without gears and or more than a coaster. @tacochris a lot of kids back in the day wasn't riding these heavy bikes up anything like that. If they were then that explains tossing everything off them to leave the bare bones bikes that became mountain bikes; Schwinn etc. I don't see many of us who would or could be doing that from 18+. I understand keeping some things OG but not everything is meant to be the same for everyone. Not All bikes survived the same nor have the same collectible value etc

Make No Mistake I can pedal any of these old vintage metal beasts the way they were originally but the difference is I do want to enjoy them. I damn sure wouldn't be pedaling up let's say no 14% grade hill in the Blue Ridge Parkway or coming down it without gears and or more than a coaster. @tacochris a lot of kids back in the day wasn't riding these heavy bikes up anything like that. If they were then that explains tossing everything off them to leave the bare bones bikes that became mountain bikes; Schwinn etc. I don't see many of us who would or could be doing that from 18+. I understand keeping some things OG but not everything is meant to be the same for everyone. Not All bikes survived the same nor have the same collectible value etc

Thats why I put "its fine for them, just not me" . I do understand my opinion and the way i choose to live will "offend" some folks. ...but not enough to change my stance on it I guess.
If you fork over the money for the bike, then I think you should totally be able to do with it what you want, thats for certain. ....but....if I get it after you, Im gonna toss all that dumb sh&t in the garbage and put it back correct. Lol!
Jk....kinda

Im a purist and everyone hates purists, but much like a movie villain, I embrace the darkness.

I will reiterate, this is my own personal preference and in no way am I telling people they have to do this or that. Im all about freedom to do as you please.......I just prefer things in my garage a certain way. Hopefully that will smooth over any offense someone may have taken....and whatnot.

Last edited:
Thats why I put "its fine for them, just not me" . I do understand my opinion and the way i choose to live will "offend" some folks. ...but not enough to change my stance on it I guess.
If you fork over the money for the bike, then I think you should totally be able to do with it what you want, thats for certain. ....but....if I get it after you, Im gonna toss all that dumb sh&t in the garbage and put it back correct. Lol!
Jk....kinda

Im a purist and everyone hates purists, but much like a movie villain, I embrace the darkness.

I will reiterate, this is my own personal preference and in no way am I telling people they have to do this or that. Im all about freedom to do as you please.......I just prefer things in my garage a certain way. Hopefully that will smooth over any offense someone may have taken....and whatnot.
No offense taken. Just 2 sides to every wheel man ;)
I fully understand like I said and I agree; Right Now if someone wanted to put my Columbia back to the way I bought = they could with the parts I swapped. Of course it's Not Original but Even then they could indeed do that too. Hell I have thought about collecting Everything as spares to do just that. Even buying Another bike Identical to have 1 custom and 1 original 👍🏻

I'd enjoy them both for different reasons No Doubt and love them equally for their differences🤔

I think I yelled that at you, Joel! All mine are single speed riders. I give the roadies hell saying, 8 miles on a 50 lb single speed equates to 30 miles on a 10 lb bike with gears! They get mad! Lol
So i guess Don that means pedaling a 60lbs Ballooner means your getting three times the workout with half the distance traveled?? Man this sure works for me.... Thanks for that. RideOn. Razin...

Back