When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adapting Brooks-sized seatpost clamp to narrow Schwinn seatpost?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Skip Montanaro

Look Ma, No Hands!
My lovely wife came across a nice looking Schwinn mattress saddle and seatpost the other day, grabbed it, and said, "put it on that Schwinn Breeze with the metal saddle." So, I brought the Breeze into the lair, removed the saddle, but ... sigh ... it's got a very skinny seatpost. I measured the seatpost itself at about 20mm. The narrower section for the clamp is only about 16mm. That area on the donor seatpost is 22mm. Here's what I'm dealing with. I don't think it would be safe to try and just squeeze the rails on the new saddle to hold the small clamp. I thought perhaps I could shim the smaller clamp, but that's going to be challenging with the serrations. Again, I think safety might well be compromised. I have flipped Schwinn seatposts over before, but this guy is too narrow for that solution.

Is there something like a "standard" solution to this problem (maybe a small diameter clamp with larger total width), or will I be left to try and cobble something together?

clamp.jpg

Had to run by the hardware store anyway, so... They had 5/8" steel sleeves, so I got one. It needed the seam opened up in to a bit wider slot with the Dremel, but it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Back