When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding Front Brake to Middleweight Bike - Problem Solving Help?

-
Schwinn made this but I have no idea when. Bolts to flat blade forks.

Schwinn made this but I have no idea when. Bolts to flat blade forks.

That’s what I showed him in the picture

That’s what I showed him in the picture
I read this post a long time ago when it was first posted. I ran across this picture looking for something else and remembered it. Just posted what I found without going back and rereading it. My post is to an entire link and might give the author a little more insight. I wasn’t trying to upstage anyone in any way. Sorry if you felt slighted.

I read this post a long time ago when it was first posted. I ran across this picture looking for something else and remembered it. Just posted what I found without going back and rereading it. My post is to an entire link and might give the author a little more insight. I wasn’t trying to upstage anyone in any way. Sorry if you felt slighted.
Not at all, just meant was showing those that could work for him!

Greetings!

I have a late 1958-1961 Snyder/Rollaway/Firestone that I am getting into comfortable rideable condition and I'm wondering how I would go about adding a front brake? I realize that traditionally, this style of bicycle has coaster brakes (and they do work), but with my abilities/skill level as a rider I don't feel all that comfortable riding without any handbrakes at all, especially around in the hilly and busy neighborhood I live in.

I've taken it to two reputable bike shops in my area and both have essentially told me it's inadvisable to add a front brake by drilling into the frame. Reviewing the bike myself as I have taken it apart to clean it up, they are very correct - the front fork pivots inside the frame with some sort of bearing, plus the vintage badge is also right there... so that is a whole can of worms I don't think I want to deal with. (I am a novice bike mechanic at best, so I ask for your patience about bike mechanics and fixing/assembling bikes as we move forwards here.)

However, I've done some searching and found this part that I think would work on my front bicycle fork... if I can find it? I realize this is a Schwinn part (and hopefully this isn't going to cause any pain for the mix and match on brand and era here) and as I've scoured eBay for the past two days I can't find anything that's even close. I did find a few archived posts here at CABE for this request as well, and folks have pointed others towards this website (originally in Japanese) which offers replica parts for the same style of front fork. I've sent a message to the seller in hopes they may answer (here's hoping they're willing to answer messages in English!), but the last restock looks like it was in October 2020...

So I need some problem solving help... should I spend my time looking for this part? Or should I try something else? I've attached some images of the front fork of my bike. I'm not certain this would be the right answer since from my searching it looks as though on the Schwinn bicycles this part was designed for, there is a tapped hole underneath but not on my Firestone. However I think it's the right direction? Any thoughts?

View attachment 1646077View attachment 1646078
If you really feel the need to a front brake, why not just get a disc brake conversion for the front?

There are a multitude of them available now. Simple bolt on bracket to the fork leg, no permanent changes to the bicycle needed.

Last edited:
on the mock up fork if u use a regular washer n not the spacer it should work

How about just finding a beat up ridgid or even suspension fork mountain bike and switch the fork with the front wheel , brakes and everything? You could be all in for $25.

Maybe I missed it...26" Worksman with drum brake...heavy duty rims and spokes to boot. Just a thought.

I immediately thought of what was available back in the balloon tire days, a front drum brake. Seems like some of the rims that I've found on middleweights did not have sidewalls compatible with rim braking.

Sturmey Archer offers front drum brakes in both 70mm and 90mm sizes and versions incorporating dynamos:
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/front-hubs-including-dynohubs

Or what about Shimano's Nexus roller brake system? This hub is 100mm wide:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/HB-IM40.html
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/nexus-c3000-int7/BR-C3000-F.html

If one retrofits hub braking, does this create problems with the spoke lacing being too fragile to handle the braking force?

Back