When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Addison ,Ill. X53

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
The Addison Ill. show .
001.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG

Last edited:
This has been going on as long as I have been going to shows[early 80's]. I also think it hurts the shows.Many people drive from long distances and are many times disappointed because all the things that make up a good show are gone by the time the show opens.I have sold at shows but now just go to shows.Many I wont bother with anymore because if you arrive at the designated time all you find left are the bikes that take up room.

yep itstill goes on here at car shows but the guy that runs the bike show swap will come out to the parking lot and let you know what the rules are,this is a hobby for most and the parking lot sharks [flippers]can go somewhere else,rhe flpper and seller should chased off!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if it could be controlled.After awhile people quit coming to these shows because the person who runs it doesnt consider the people who travel to get to these shows.There is one that I have been going to for years right now that has had nothing but common junk the last few years.Usually parts are plentiful but expensive complete bikes are usually gone before the show opens.

As an infrequent but long time seller I do not like it when buyers dig into my stuff before I have even unpacked it. I think it is ignorant and rude and have sometimes refused to sell to these buyers. I also find it irritating when someone digs a treasure out of my stuff before I have unpacked it and makes a low ball offer on my asking price. I do not mind discounting items later in the day that are drawing little interest but I am not taking less for an item before I have tested the waters on my price.
These days I list most stuff on ebay. At a swap if I offer something for $100.00 the buyer offers $50.00 and looks at me like I am a crook. If I list it on ebay it sells for $100.00 and the buyer thanks me for selling it to them !

As an infrequent but long time seller I do not like it when buyers dig into my stuff before I have even unpacked it. I think it is ignorant and rude and have sometimes refused to sell to these buyers. I also find it irritating when someone digs a treasure out of my stuff before I have unpacked it and makes a low ball offer on my asking price. I do not mind discounting items later in the day that are drawing little interest but I am not taking less for an item before I have tested the waters on my price.
These days I list most stuff on ebay. At a swap if I offer something for $100.00 the buyer offers $50.00 and looks at me like I am a crook. If I list it on ebay it sells for $100.00 and the buyer thanks me for selling it to them !

Thumbs up to you for being a stand up seller.I have watched these jerks at shows going crazy in the parking lots.If they only knew how stupid they look.I know sellers do their dealings inside the building before the shows open and I understand that but selling to the parking lot lizards ruins the shows.

Early birds

This has been going on as long as I have been going to shows[early 80's]. I also think it hurts the shows.Many people drive from long distances and are many times disappointed because all the things that make up a good show are gone by the time the show opens.I have sold at shows but now just go to shows.Many I wont bother with anymore because if you arrive at the designated time all you find left are the bikes that take up room.

Very true Vince. Usually I am selling. I like to get there early if I am selling because I like to avoid people . I like to get set up outside and get unloaded early without being swamped by folks if I get there later. It really gets crazy when you are not even out of the truck and 4 people saying all at once how much for this, and that happens if you get there early. The early birds , many of them are the Ebay types and I will say this,"I know who you All are now", and there are a couple fellows who snap up everything they see to flip it on Ebay. Nothing wrong with that except I dont want to hear your b.s. about how you really need this and that for your project, get me to knock my price down and then I see every last thing I sold them on Ebay the next week. That is what really hurts the guys who are coming from , like you said Vince, far away hoping to find something for their project. If I do get to a swap late I will park my truck across the street and walk into the swap so I get a chance to see whats there. I will look back at my truck and sure enough someone will be poking around it.
I know times have been rough and lots of guys make $ on the side off Ebay but this really hurts the hobby I think. I am not in this to make $. I have never bought or sold on Ebay .
I have been blessed with the fact that junk just finds me, and I can lighten the load at the swaps. :)

The Addison Ill. show is next week. I was talking to someone a couple weeks ago about this show and shows in general and they said they just dont seem to see alot of good stuff.
Well, if you show up at 9 or 10 am. yes you may be disappointed. sure their will be the vendor that pulls in late but most want to get there early. when I pull in with stuff to sell its 5 to 6 am. no later then 6:15. And... there are usually 4 or 5 guys and one lady (Candy, God bless her!] that are on me before I even get out of my truck. I dont even have to unload, they do it for me. Last year I came to that show with some basket cases: 46 Monark with tank, 41 and 46 Schwinns and a Panther frame with the repop tank.
I was so overloaded with other old ballooner stuff I was worried stuff would fall out of my pickup on the way there.
When I pull in I have guys[and Candy, of Twins Treasures]with flash lights buying stuff as they pull it out of the truck.I know it may seem unfair to the folks who show up at the posted show time of 9 but thats the way it is. Same thing with the other sellers that get there early. If the weather is looking good , I will be early.
SO.... I pulled in last year and by 9 most of my stuff was gone. I left for home at 11 with 3 fenders, and two rims unsold. everything else gone.
I bought this tired x53 and one nice Monark springer. The x53 is the project bike for this summer. Kind of on the fence as to what derusting treatment I will use. I bought the repop light and am ready to go. I plan to work with whats there and keep whats left of the original paint. I will post photos when done.:) One other thing: I posted some rules yesterday for "new" bike guys entering this hobby, I hope every one knows that was all in fun. My wife is great and supports my hobby even though I do get carried away with it. She has her knitting and I have the bikes . View attachment 203315View attachment 203316View attachment 203317
Candy, God Bless her!
Ha!
Google "Rosebud Antiques, Lagrange"
Read the first three hits. Might change your mind. It's her store.

Remember the song "I like CANDY!!! I know Candy from the toy show days at Kane County Fairgrounds.
I want to add this: The X53 I bought sight unseen a month before the show, and was delivered to at the Addison show. The Monark springer[ it was a nice one too] I bought for $50 just before I left. Couldnt figure why it was still there that late. I still have it too. i dont buy stuff to flip.
Anyway , enough from me about this , do you fellows like my plans for the X53? Should I repaint it, or just get the rust off and leave as is? I like to leave as is but lets hear your thoughts

Back