When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting schwinn springer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2psps

Look Ma, No Hands!
i recently bought a schwinn panther and it's my first bike with a springer. My current issue is that when I jump on the bike it seems to drop quite a bit and the ride is bouncy.

Besides losing some weight is there any adjustments I can make to reduce the amount of bounce?

Thanks guys I appreciate any advice.

No problem! Tip: buy a new one, even a used Heavy Duty spring may be a bit soggy.
There are other sellers on E-bay, I just selected that one.... Just make sure the description says Heavy duty or maybe "Whizzer" spring.

I agree that a new spring would be nice, but for now you can follow a tip from the "SCHWINN BUILT HEAVYWEIGHTS 1946-1964" book . I have done it and it works. You simply use a number of washers as shims where the spring contacts the bracket that is mounted on the bike.. Remove the long bolt and add a couple of washers, put the bolt back in, take a short ride and add or subtract washers until you are satisfied. You will have a decent - riding springer. You can then find a new spring at your leisure. As I said earlier, this is not an idea I thought up. I got it from the book and it worked for me.

I agree that a new spring would be nice, but for now you can follow a tip from the "SCHWINN BUILT HEAVYWEIGHTS 1946-1964" book . I have done it and it works. You simply use a number of washers as shims where the spring contacts the bracket that is mounted on the bike.. Remove the long bolt and add a couple of washers, put the bolt back in, take a short ride and add or subtract washers until you are satisfied. You will have a decent - riding springer. You can then find a new spring at your leisure. As I said earlier, this is not an idea I thought up. I got it from the book and it worked for me.

Yep. I read Geoff's book too. This trick worked like a charm. Great idea! Thanks Geoff! Very satisfied with the spring tension now!!!!

I put a couple washers on my original spring 1958 Phantom. Worked like a charm.You can also move the bolt in or out to adjust the spring rate.

Call me crazy, I like the loose more active springer. Maybe at just 178 pounds I'm not overloading it. Ever since the mid 50's to now I like the movement in the fork.

Back