When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adolph Arnolds home in Chicago

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Too bad that they can't get it on the historical register. ...

Actually, myself having owned two, 1 building that met 13 of the 15 points required for national registry and a home which met 10 it's a piece of cake to start the process. 1st the city has to open a case and that's the simple part. Any dope off the street can petition the city. After that it's up to the city to make the steps though national historic registry, ( the easy way), However an owner can just go direct to the national register assisted by the state.

I've no doubt after seeing the architecture of this house it can get on the national registry. However, cities can be a butt hole! The building I owned, had had a distasteful history through the 70's and up-until I took possession. One of the board members contacted me directly, personally, to inform me about the cities board desiring a walk through, and actually told me their main interest was to observe the tenant structure. She, had great interest in seeing the building get listed and as an aside, wanted to warn me of the other members intentions. during the 1970's through 80's the 1905 building had acquired the nick-name of Homo-heights. In the 60's and through previous periods of my ownership, it was well known too, of a place where well to do persons would house their "sporting ladies"

Regardless I insured it passed the cities approval, while not in support of their personal interest of fact, no other building by 2000 was left in the city with so many points of national interest.

Anyway. While and prior to nomination of my 1893 home. (prior years records were burned in Chicago fire, almost all cities in the states records were kept by the insurance industry, so much was lost then, so 1893 was the oldest record although was prob build near 1884). Because I was livein in it, I didn't want it nominated for the restrictions I'd endure. So, as I improved the lot and or had mind to improve some of the rear exterior portions, I was always concerned that some nosy do goober could just come along and make a nomination.

The point is, anybody who resides in Chicago can make the nomination to the city and halt, dely or prevent it from being demolished. plus an owner can get assistance through the state.

Prob the most costly part of getting registered is having the architectural description written. If a city will follow through they'll pay for it, otherwise the state will prepare but not perform the function, yet after its done, aide in petitioning the feds. If listed there maybe low interest too no interest loans and or loans combined with grants availed. AND! yeah duhh, there's a a long line of peps looking for those opportunities!. Albeit there's more crap listed than good stuff like Arnold's home.

Last edited:
http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community/east-garfield-park

There are some pioneers buying places in the area but there are a bunch of board-ups also.

It's always interesting to see a part of town that once was opulent, but that has become a victim of urban decay.
You can tell by the houses, that at one time things were good and now it's just a poverty stricken wasteland.
I'm sure that when Adolf Arnold decided to build his house there, it was one of the best parcels that Chicago had to offer.

According to Redfin, the home has been listed for $95,000.

I've become sort of numb to these, having seen so many beautiful buildings demolished in Chicago, but this one hit me in the gut, not only because of the prominent folks that have lived there, but how beautiful the building is. As the author says, there isn't anything like it in Chicago. I doubt you'd find anything like it anywhere. And how cool would it be to say you lived in Adolph Arnold's house?

According to Redfin, the home has been listed for $95,000.

And if that house gets torn down, that's the problem right there. In a decrepit neighborhood and heavily deteriorated condition, it's worth no more than 20 grand. The current owner is FOS! attempted to make something out of nothing and refused to invest the time and money to get federal assistance through the National historic system. Like I said,, it cost some bucks to get a property's architectural description written. 5-10 grand expense perhaps more depending on the nature of professional service fees in locations near by. . . .

Adolph Arnold would not sound right on a bike.

Of course you do realize that Adolph wasn't an undesirable name in his day and age? Hitler was yet a child attempting to be an artist before he turned to mass murder in the 30's eh.

Just took a look at the house and surroundings on Google maps. There are two other houses to the left and they have no more than 24" between them. Very small homes with no three car garages. ;) I'd much rather dump my money in one of the homes directly across the street. In all my years in construction I have worked on many historic buildings, the Mesa downtown renovation in the early 1980's and a few homes that were built at the beginning of the last century. The cost to bring these back to the point where they can be used/saved is unbelievable and in my opinion a big investment loss from the beginning or a few years later. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that house is doomed.

Back