When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adolph Arnolds home in Chicago

-
Interesting article, I always thought that Arnold was Schwinn's first name. Pretty cool house, looks like the facade is marble.

Interesting history.
Definitely a shame to tear it down.
It would be a cool place to live and display bikes. That neighborhood could probably be a good place to host some rides, with a little urban renewal.

Very Interesting - also very cool building to say the least. It would be a shame to see it go like so many others.

I would be interested to know what the asking price is on the structure and land.
It is hard to believe but very depressing to hear that a city of such significance is so eager to tear down a building with such a historical background, when there are SO many other houses boarded up and nearly falling in on themselves that just are not a priority.
It make you wonder why they would target a residence of historical significance? Is it $$$$? What would the city have to gain by demolishing this house? It just angers me to see articles like this, but I'm also glad to see someone shed light on the matter in hopes that someone will step up and save this building. I have always want to find an old house like that in disrepair and fix it up and live in it, with out having a bunch of prick city officials breathing down my neck. I look at pictures of old abandoned mansions and wonder why current owners won't sell the property or lower the price of a property to allow someone to fix it up and see it back in it's former glory. It's like seeing a really rear car or bicycle sitting out in the weather and just rusting away and the owner refusing to sell it. and it's always the same story..... Well I'm gonna get around to fixing it up some day and it will be worth millions... It just angers the piss out of me.
JKent

That would cost a ton to fix up..... I wouldn't be surprised if the foundation has to be replaced. And bringing it back to code...ouch... $$$$$ ..

Back