When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in tube mitering.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Huguenot

Look Ma, No Hands!
30 or so years ago I saw a line drawing of a Pedersen bicycle in the book Bicycles & Tricycles by Archibald Sharp. (BTW this book is well worth a look if you are not already familiar with it.)
Fast forward to about 2012 and I found myself with the time and equipment to give building one a shot, just for fun. I was very bad about taking regular photos, when deep in a project it's far too easy to just keep going, and I admire the guys who are disciplined enough to regularly document things. But I do have some, and at the request of another member I'll piece together how it went. The photos are actually of 2 separate frames under construction but it's hard to notice.
I had not ever seen one of these bikes in person, so I worked from pics on the web, blowing them up and using a protractor to get some angles and dimensions by using the rim diameter for scale. By the time of the second frame I had found Dave Doctor (US importer of Euro built replicas) and he graciously sent me some of the critical dimensions also sold me some of the replica seats.
The frames of most modern replicas seems to be 14mm tube, which is not easy to find. Aircraft Spruce has 9/16", which is close, but was 4X the cost of 5/8"-which is used a bunch in light aircraft manufacture and was readily available. Since I was making a large frame and the whole thing was an experiment anyway, I opted for the cheap route. It required 32 feet of 5/8" diameter .035" wall (16mm x .9mm) 4130 tube.
The challenge, and what I like best about these projects, is the fixturing. Regular frame building jigs are unusable here, so I started from scratch. The idea was to suspend the important stuff -head tube and the lower steering pivot, axles and bottom bracket- out in space, and then whittle the connecting tubes to fit.
I'll break the build into a few different posts, so here are some pics of how that was achieved.

IMG_2632.JPG

So it begins. A big aluminum plate and the raw tubes. The only "official" bike tubes are the Columbus SL chain stays on the right, and it took every mm of them. On later frames I made my own chain stays.
IMG_2658.JPG

Fit and measure.
View attachment 1015122
I figured out ways to miter some of them in pairs. Starting with the longest tubes, in case of "oops".
View attachment 1015124
An quality hole saw and slow feed/speed works surprisingly well.
View attachment 1015144

Coming together. The head tube junction was a particular challenge, but the current replicas just squish the ends of the 4 tubes and bolt them to an ear welded to the head tube. Cheaters.
View attachment 1015131
That is a lot of tubes coming together, almost ready for brazing.
View attachment 1015145
And eventually we wind up with this.

IMG_2632.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG

View attachment 1015122

View attachment 1015124

View attachment 1015131

View attachment 1015144

View attachment 1015145

Last edited:
Back