When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice: 195x schwinn traveler

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Please feel free to prove me wrong but...

55 first year for alloy brakes and levers (possibly a late 54 switch but I have not seen serial numbers of a 54 with alloy brake setup to verify for certain, only claims. Serial numbers of this era are easily misconstrued. Ive seen 54s with chrome steel levers and brakes for certain)

56 alloy brakes and levers with winged world/schwinn decals

57 decals changed to this script you see here

I would love for someone to show me a 1958 Schwinn Traveler cause ive never seen one...

This bike is a 1957 Traveler and I would even go as far as to say it quite possibly has a SA 3 speed hub with an alloy shell.

Is it possible schwinn produced a surplus of frames, stamped them with the code of when they were constructed, and in later years finished them off and released them as later models? The rear hub on my bike dates to 1956. Since the frame was produced in December of 1955, this does not seem odd.

But stretching production out two years would be another discussion entirely.

Last edited:
What is the actual serial number. Serial numbers in the 50s are an odd thing as a lot of changes went on. A 56 date coded rear hub is commonly found on the next years model production. The hubs have a month stamp also which is helpful to narrow down dates.

The reason im curious about a 58 is that from what I gather the serial number system changed in April of 58 so im curious as to if they only made 58s for those few months and that is why they are very uncommon. Seeing a serial number with the new serial system would change that idea for me. Actual serial numbers and even more so hub dates would help to explain. 1958 is an oddball year for Schwinns for some reason.

Please post the serial number if you can.

9F69ADFE-9B33-4941-8D89-32C647B0AA69.jpeg

Thanks for posting an actual pic! Very cool.

I nerded out on these back in 2010 doing homework on them and never came across a 58, and yours seems to be in the "new" serial format so my suspicions were wrong. Id love to see some more 58s if anyone has one and hope you dont mind me saving your pics for my records.

I still stand by my claim OPs bike is a 57 though :D

Is it possible schwinn produced a surplus of frames, stamped them with the code of when they were constructed, and in later years finished them off and released them as later models? The rear hub on my bike dates to 1956. Since the frame was produced in December of 1955, this does not seem odd.

But stretching production out two years would be another discussion entirely.

Schwinn didn't normally produce and then store a bunch of frames for later use. The stamping is a serial number and that number was stamped on the bikes component before it was used to build a frame. The date is the stamping date. Your bike is probably a 57 model, what's the serial number?

It is in this range , stamped on the frame, not on a badge.

(SCHWINN DATE CODES BY THE YEAR, MONTH AND DAY)
(1955) 12/05 - - - - - - - - - U37606 - - - - - - - - - U41093

If you would like, I can send you photos privately of the serial numbers on the frame and hub.. and also photos of the original generator and headlamp. Please note: I am not trying to be pretentious, although my reply may sound that way. I'm just stating facts. I have no agenda's in this outcome. (I always welcome any additional information). My comments are often strait forward, and can be interpreted in ways I do not intend.

The frame dates to 1955, the hub dates to 1956, and the decals seem to date to 1957.

I could care less where it actually dates, and when trying to explain its year of production. I'm going by the date stamped on the frame.

If you are interested in any more detailed information. please let me know. I will gladly help.

If my bike is a true 1957, that would make me happy, as one of my brother in laws has a 1957 Chevy, and said he would like to drag along a 57 bike to his car shows. I have never been confident my traveler matches that criteria.

Last edited:
I don't have the serial number at hand(bike is in storage), but I have this one that I dated to being a 1956 model.

View attachment 879747

Okay, now my curiosity has been peaked. Late 56 serial like a November number or is it in the first 3 quarters of the year? MarkKBikes SN was stamped at the end of 55 and his is no doubt a 56 model but with 57 graphics.
That early opal violet is awesome!

Okay, now my curiosity has been peaked. Late 56 serial like a November number or is it in the first 3 quarters of the year? MarkKBikes SN was stamped at the end of 55 and his is no doubt a 56 model but with 57 graphics.
That early opal violet is awesome!
Same!

I havnt looking into any of this for a while but Ive only ever been able to note 57s to have this decal style and owned a black traveler that looked just like OPs at one point which was dated as a 57. Maybe it was a 56 mid year switch. Maybe the same kinda deal with the discrepancy ive noticed in the switch from weinmann alloy brake levers and calipers in 54/55.

Back