Advice, comments

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

rickyd

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Apr 3, 2012
Marshfield MO
Bought this at a swap and can’t decide what to do with the chrome. Currently removing old grease from hubs etc. Paint is very nice chrome not so much. If patina was consistent I’d probably leave it alone but contrast bugs me. Thoughts?
DD750932-22BF-4A69-AFF3-86CFF3E8D7FE.jpeg
EA625BA0-3459-4C79-B282-51D2B2B1BD02.jpeg

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
Find appropriate wheels and guard and you are done.

Reactions: rickyd

tripple3

Riding Miles; Collecting Smiles
Sep 25, 2012
Beach Cities, CA 92708
Typically when sold, owner pulls the "Good" parts for another bike he loves more; especially for a Swap-meet.
Replace the parts with the "Good" parts you pulled from a bike you sold at a Swap-meet.;)
It happens all the time; don't fret too much.:p

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

John G04

I live for the CABE
Oct 17, 2016
Bethlehem, PA, United States
Lightly clean it and if your not happy with it sell it to someone who will

schwinnlax

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 14, 2016
La Crosse, WI
That rust does not look too bad. I would use an oxalic acid solution and soak the parts that fit in a tub. For wheels I remove tires/tubes/straps and place the wheel standing up in a shallow amount of solution in a container - just enough to cover up to the top of the lowest spoke nipples. You don't want to get the solution on the spokes as it will eat away at them. Then, I rotate the wheel every few hours until the entire rim as been de-rusted. I agree the chrome has been affected by rust whereas the frame paint has not. Not too surprising as a good paint job is better protection than chrome over the long haul.

Here's a picture of a rim I cleaned. You can see another wheel in the OA bath in the background. A 9x13 glass baking pan works well. The bath container should be glass or plastic, NOT metal.

Cleaned rim.JPG

Reactions: KingSized HD

mr.cycleplane

I live for the CABE
Sep 9, 2017
Auburn, California
basically-follow advice above. don't use wire brushes or especially wire wheel buffer/grinders to remove rust. nowadays its-better living thru chemistry. some chemicals will remove the surface rust and greatly improve the appearance of your existing chrome pieces. here on the cabe are experts with lots of experience in bike resto-especially the oxy-type baths! incredible results-see others 'project' bikes. nice bike!

lounging

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 27, 2017
lost
Wheels are a dime a dozen. Change 'em! nobody's going to know they aren't original unless you tell 'em. But...are you sure that chrome ain't gonna clean up?
You have wheels like that for 10 cents I'll take 'em. Those wheels are awesome, as long as there is no heavy pitting/rust and they spin good on a truing stand, there's no need to change them.

5760rj

I live for the CABE
Sep 19, 2017
basically-follow advice above. don't use wire brushes or especially wire wheel buffer/grinders to remove rust. nowadays its-better living thru chemistry. some chemicals will remove the surface rust and greatly improve the appearance of your existing chrome pieces. here on the cabe are experts with lots of experience in bike resto-especially the oxy-type baths! incredible results-see others 'project' bikes. nice bike!
very true,.......

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
I would be more concerned with the seat than the chrome.The chrome will clean up ,its not that bad.

Reactions: juanitasmith13

Saving Tempest

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
Now that you've got all these people crazy to buy it you can tell them it cost $1200. :smilingimp:

This ad goes away when you register for an account!