When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice, comments

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That rust does not look too bad. I would use an oxalic acid solution and soak the parts that fit in a tub. For wheels I remove tires/tubes/straps and place the wheel standing up in a shallow amount of solution in a container - just enough to cover up to the top of the lowest spoke nipples. You don't want to get the solution on the spokes as it will eat away at them. Then, I rotate the wheel every few hours until the entire rim as been de-rusted. I agree the chrome has been affected by rust whereas the frame paint has not. Not too surprising as a good paint job is better protection than chrome over the long haul.

Here's a picture of a rim I cleaned. You can see another wheel in the OA bath in the background. A 9x13 glass baking pan works well. The bath container should be glass or plastic, NOT metal.

Cleaned rim.JPG

basically-follow advice above. don't use wire brushes or especially wire wheel buffer/grinders to remove rust. nowadays its-better living thru chemistry. some chemicals will remove the surface rust and greatly improve the appearance of your existing chrome pieces. here on the cabe are experts with lots of experience in bike resto-especially the oxy-type baths! incredible results-see others 'project' bikes. nice bike!

Wheels are a dime a dozen. Change 'em! nobody's going to know they aren't original unless you tell 'em. But...are you sure that chrome ain't gonna clean up?

You have wheels like that for 10 cents I'll take 'em. Those wheels are awesome, as long as there is no heavy pitting/rust and they spin good on a truing stand, there's no need to change them.

basically-follow advice above. don't use wire brushes or especially wire wheel buffer/grinders to remove rust. nowadays its-better living thru chemistry. some chemicals will remove the surface rust and greatly improve the appearance of your existing chrome pieces. here on the cabe are experts with lots of experience in bike resto-especially the oxy-type baths! incredible results-see others 'project' bikes. nice bike!
very true,.......

Back