When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for removing sprocket from New Departure hub

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I need to swap sprockets on a New Departure hub - skip tooth for regular pitch. I’ve got it down to the basics - left hand thread to remove the outer ring and remove the bearing. I know that the sprocket right hand threads. The hub is not laced into a wheel, but it is complete. Any advice is welcome. Tools? Technique?

Thanks,
Ed

I always thought it best to put the hub in a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck, but a 3 jaw will also work. This allows more even pressure instead of 2 pressure points in a vise. Also, I use a short brass or bronze bar for hammering, to remove the outer ring and sprocket.

We’ll, I guess that I wasn’t tapping hard enough. I think I need some brass jaws for my vice first. Thanks. I guess I just needed some reinforcement that my technique was correct.

Ed

The hub is not laced into a wheel, but it is complete. Any advice is welcome. Tools? Technique?
It's a lot easier when laced into a wheel.
Lace it, then swap cogs;
on the bike, with the crank.
Scott @rustjunkie posted how to do it that way.
1631586516509.png

It worked for me a few times now.🙂

Back