When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for removing sprocket from New Departure hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I need to swap sprockets on a New Departure hub - skip tooth for regular pitch. I’ve got it down to the basics - left hand thread to remove the outer ring and remove the bearing. I know that the sprocket right hand threads. The hub is not laced into a wheel, but it is complete. Any advice is welcome. Tools? Technique?

Thanks,
Ed

I always thought it best to put the hub in a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck, but a 3 jaw will also work. This allows more even pressure instead of 2 pressure points in a vise. Also, I use a short brass or bronze bar for hammering, to remove the outer ring and sprocket.

We’ll, I guess that I wasn’t tapping hard enough. I think I need some brass jaws for my vice first. Thanks. I guess I just needed some reinforcement that my technique was correct.

Ed

The hub is not laced into a wheel, but it is complete. Any advice is welcome. Tools? Technique?
It's a lot easier when laced into a wheel.
Lace it, then swap cogs;
on the bike, with the crank.
Scott @rustjunkie posted how to do it that way.
1631586516509.png

It worked for me a few times now.🙂

Back