When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for Schwinn purchase

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pondo

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey everyone. I'm considering purchasing this cool old Schwinn locally. It's a crusty looking old thing but I do like it. I think it's probably a Typhoon? The seller says: "Schwin Beach Crusier 2 speed, kickback Approximately 1968 Original except pedals replaced (worn out) and rack added."

The tires are clearly not original and I don't think the seat is either. It does have ample patina but I like the crust. Does this seem like a decent deal for $100?

Hey everyone. I'm considering purchasing this cool old Schwinn locally. It's a crusty looking old thing but I do like it. I think it's probably a Typhoon? The seller says: "Schwin Beach Crusier 2 speed, kickback Approximately 1968 Original except pedals replaced (worn out) and rack added."

The tires are clearly not original and I don't think the seat is either. It does have ample patina but I like the crust. Does this seem like a decent deal for $100? View attachment 1428077

View attachment 1428078

View attachment 1428079

View attachment 1428080

View attachment 1428081
It looks earlier to me then '68. The chain guard is earlier and not from a Typhoon. The crank sprocket and pedals are wrong. The fork crown leads me to believe Jaguar or Corvette. The head set is the earlier version I think pre '63 maybe as late as '65. If the 2 speed works a plus. The seat is a decent mesinger. The rack is killer. I would say yes at $100

It can be hard to figure out what a bike came as sometimes they get parts from other bikes that throws you off. If you have the serial number it would be a start. I would not worry about what it was, more so what is it? Is it worth the $100 to you ? It would be to me. I really like that rack. The fenders may be SS and just dirty.

I agree it looks earlier. Can you get a picture of the serial off the left rear fork? That would help us tell what it is or was. The chainring is 52 teeth. I can imagine wanting to do that. It is probably a Murray chainring though. The chainguard is like the one on my 61 Speedster, and those wont clear 52 teeth so it is modified somehow. Handlebars look later. Size of stem would be a clue as it changed in the mid 60s. Chrome or stainless fenders may be newer than the bike? Might be too old to be a Typhoon?

It can be hard to figure out what a bike came as sometimes they get parts from other bikes that throws you off. If you have the serial number it would be a start. I would not worry about what it was, more so what is it? Is it worth the $100 to you ? It would be to me. I really like that rack. The fenders may be SS and just dirty.
Thanks for the info and advice, I really appreciate it. I do really like the bike. If I can break away I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what the serial number is.

I agree it looks earlier. Can you get a picture of the serial off the left rear fork? That would help us tell what it is or was. The chainring is 52 teeth. I can imagine wanting to do that. It is probably a Murray chainring though. The chainguard is like the one on my 61 Speedster, and those wont clear 52 teeth so it is modified somehow. Handlebars look later. Size of stem would be a clue as it changed in the mid 60s. Chrome or stainless fenders may be newer than the bike? Might be too old to be a Typhoon?
Wow, sounds like this thing might be really pieced together. If I go tomorrow I'll get better pics of everything. These are just the pics from the add and not the best. Thanks!

Back