When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for Schwinn purchase

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You could probably sell the rack for the price of the bike. Pedals always take a beating so used original pedals are probably shot so new non original replacements are the best bet for functionality. Those pedals look like Schwinn pedals they used on 1970s ten speeds, cool pedals. They could be good French pedals with half inch spindals.

You could probably sell the rack for the price of the bike. Pedals always take a beating so used original pedals are probably shot so new non original replacements are the best bet for functionality. Those pedals look like Schwinn pedals they used on 1970s ten speeds, cool pedals. They could be good French pedals with half inch spindals.

Yes, the pedals appear to be the French Atom 440's.

So I just got home a while ago. It was a long day with a vintage Schwinn viewing in the morning and wine tasting after lunch (in Murphys for you NorCal folks). Great day. I picked up the bike for $80 and it's pretty cool. It seems mostly original except for the tires & pedals. The front rim doesn't match the rear so it must have been replaced at some point. I think the guy may have been the original owner but I forgot to ask. He said the rack is a Schwinn accessory that he had installed at the Schwinn shop. It has an Alameda county bicycle license on it.

By the serial number it is a 1964 Schwinn American. The seat and 2 speed (red band) indicates it is a heavy duty. The rear dropout number is K426623. The bottom bracket number is A59651A.

I aired up the tires a bit and took it for a short spin. It rides really nice and the 2 speed works great as does the coaster brake. Pretty fun actually even though it's geared too high for the hills around here. A yellow band 2 speed would be better for this terrain I think. That will be it for riding until I get some tires on it that aren't falling apart.

The pedals seem pretty light as they have aluminum bodies with chromed cages. I can't find any identifying markings on them. They work pretty well. I just need to find some dust covers for them. The owner had them replaced when the originals wore out.

Pics to follow.

Murphy's!! have you ever gone over the hill to Sheepranch? my brother owns what was once the Sheepranch Brewery. it's on the side of a hill with the bar up top and brewery below. there are several cool old buildings in Sheepranch.

Back