When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for TOC project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
One thing about frame size: 24" seat tube with a lucky 7 seat post isn't the same as 24" with the seat further back like on modern bikes. The actual stretch to the pedals is lower with the saddle forward. Also, your pants inseam isn't the same as your pubic bone height.
I was curious about that and I thought that might be the case. I measured my other bikes from the middle of the bottom bracket to the bottom of the seat mounting and I think it's possible I could ride a 24" TOC frame as long as the seat isn't too tall also. Thanks for the info!

Like Mike said Wheelset for these is where the money is. The cheapest sets I’ve seen are in the $600 range. Pedals, grips, and seat can easily be another $600-700 so a $300 project May wind up costing you $1500 or better to get rolling. I don’t think you’ll find a road ready bike in that budget but try to find one as complete as possible and you’ll be money ahead. V/r Shawn

Like Mike said Wheelset for these is where the money is. The cheapest sets I’ve seen are in the $600 range. Pedals, grips, and seat can easily be another $600-700 so a $300 project May wind up costing you $1500 or better to get rolling. I don’t think you’ll find a road ready bike in that budget but try to find one as complete as possible and you’ll be money ahead. V/r Shawn
Yeah, I've noticed that pedals and seats are pretty pricey. Also hubs and chains. I'll be looking for as complete as possible for sure but I suspect I'll be using a few incorrect parts. Great advice, thank you!

You could spread your net further to find something, if you are not bothered about something that is exclusively American.
An Italian acquaintance is currently offering this French TOC bicycle for sale.....
20210612_072602.jpg

20210612_072625.jpg

20210612_072652.jpg

...... complete and ready to go. Built up with Ghisallo rims too.
This is available for €550 euros, plus shipping.
That's around $665 usd, plus shipping, and probably import duties in your case.
Seems like a great price for something that is that ready to ride.

I'm just saying that there's a lot of stuff out there!

You could spread your net further to find something, if you are not bothered about something that is exclusively American.
An Italian acquaintance is currently offering this French TOC bicycle for sale.....
View attachment 1428423

View attachment 1428424

View attachment 1428425

...... complete and ready to go. Built up with Ghisallo rims too.
This is available for €550 euros, plus shipping.
That's around $665 usd, plus shipping, and probably import duties in your case.
Seems like a great price for something that is that ready to ride.

I'm just saying that there's a lot of stuff out there!
Wow, that is a gorgeous bike! I'm interested!

One might also consider a mere antique from about 1920 or so.

I have relatives who live very close to a skiing area, and they tell me that they use all (21?) gears in summertime. I get off and walk my bike over the sand dune hills (sandstone or adobe, paved over) just to get to a beach bike path. Not sure how to resolve the gears problem on a ToC bike; (i.e., Nexus 8-speed inter-gear hub?).
Or maybe a small chain ring sprocket.

Sounds like a single-bar drop frame might be the right size and lowest weight; bicycle manufacturers then advertised that truss frames were more for style (and weight) than purpose.
Perhaps most important would be the integrity of the frame and fork; there may be deals on old frames that are rusted and pitted inside as well as outside.
Reliability and maintenance may be another factor, as older bicycles may be more likely to have proprietary component parts that are not made anymore.

Modern aluminum wheels might be a good cost and functionality compromise. They might even be used as an interim solution, to validate whether or not the whole mountain bike build meets expectations.

The foreign bike demonstrates another thing —braking, (especially on the down hills?).

Last edited:

I have relatives who live very close to a skiing area, and they tell me that they use all (21?) gears in summertime. I get off and walk my bike over the sand dune hills (sandstone or adobe, paved over) just to get to a beach bike path. Not sure how to resolve the gears problem on a ToC bike; (i.e., Nexus 8-speed inter-gear hub?).

Sounds like a single-bar drop frame might be the right size and lowest weight; bicycle manufacturers then advertised that truss frames were more for style (and weight) than purpose.
Perhaps most important would be the integrity of the frame and fork; there may be deals on old frames that are rusted and pitted inside as well as outside.
Reliability and maintenance may be another factor, as older bicycles may be more likely to have proprietary component parts that are not made anymore.

Modern aluminum wheels might be a good cost and functionality compromise. They might even be used as an interim solution, to validate whether or not the whole mountain bike build meets expectations.

The foreign bike demonstrates another thing —braking, (especially on the down hills?).
You're probably right @Archie Sturmer.
I think I'd rather use leg braking on a TOC fixie than trust that rear brake on a steep hill!

Thanks Archie, lots of great advice here, thank you. I am in the process of buying a smaller framed TOC project that I think will work for me. Still putting together a parts package. I would love to do a teens/twenties antique build at some point too; there are some great looking frames from that period.

The roads around here are very hilly and I'd like to have an uphill gear and a downhill gear. I also would like to keep the bars clean if possible i.e. no shifters, brake levers or cables if possible for aesthetic reasons. Therefore the 2 speed. I've done a little research on them and the Bendix yellow band has an underdrive and a 1:1 so that sounds like the one to try along with an appropriately sized cog. If I wind up needing more gears I'll try something else. I have a drum brake Sturmey 3 spd that wouldn't require cold setting the frame but would add a shifter and brake lever to the bars. A coaster brake internal shift hub would look better with the twist shifter and only 1 cable on the bars. Time will tell but I would like to try the 2 speed first (after the single speed 😁).

Frame integrity: yes, very important. I'm not going to be beating on this one but it does need to not break for sure.

Older parts: yes, I do expect to have to deal with potential problems and parts availability. It's kind of part of the process I think and getting things figured out is part of the fun for me.

I am going to use modern 700c wheels for starters. I love those new wooden rims but they are a bit pricey so they will have to wait a while perhaps.

And braking. Yes, brakes would be awesome but to keep the handlebars clean I'm going to have to start off with a coaster brake. I haven't ridden a fixie but I would like to try one out. I feel pretty comfortable with a coaster as I have lots of miles on those. If that proves inadequate, and it probably will, then I'll have to consider drum brakes. There will be some trial and error for sure but I think this will be a fun project!

There are other options for wood rims, also from Italy.
CB Italia also make them, at a much cheaper price than the Cerchio Ghisallo option.

Although they don't have the internal carbon fibre strengthening band.
They are good quality though.

You could always fit a period foot operated rear brake too......
20210618_073032.jpg

Back