When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on English 3-speed

-

Eatontkd

Finally riding a big boys bike
Greetings~ Due to a sick leave, I've found myself with too much time on my hands. Not one to do the "sit and relax" well, I've been contemplating what to do with an English 3 Speed I acquired from a storage barn nearby. She'll be 63 years old this new year ('56 Hercules, #B 1405). I think, the best I can tell, it's a Hercules "New Yorker" marketed to the U.S. by TI/Raleigh/Hercules/etc. I gave it a light cleaning, quick lube, tire inflate, and everything works well! Considering I paid $60.00 for what you see, I feel it's a bargain if for no other reason than it was the kinda bike my Dad enjoyed.

My question(s); 1). The frame is rubbed(beyond just scratched) in several places down past the primer(which looks like black paint) to the metal due to bad storage and less than adequate moving on the back of pickups. Being type-A, it's difficult for me not to want to strip and repaint. Is this not advisable, or is this not that valuable that it even matters? I'm not interested in getting more into it than it's worth. If not to paint, suggestions on how to slow the assault of rust and still keep looking, right? 2) Is there a resource for decals? The chain guard shape and graphic is what first attracted my attention. I'd like to ride it on decent days; I see it as a nice boardwalk ride.

Appreciate all thoughts~ Doug

framescratch.jpg

Herc:B1405.jpg

Herc1.jpg

Herc2.jpg

Herc3.jpg

Herc5.jpg

Herc6.jpg

Hercbadge.jpg

Regarding paint: It's only original once. Evaporust soaked rag and wrap around rust area then wrap Saran Wrap over to keep from evaporating. Let sit overnight. Repeat if necessary. Alternatively you can use brass brush and wd40 and remove loose rust . Then you can wash and put wax over bare metal to protect. Because you can not reproduce the color of paint which is a product of both primer and top coat with just a top coat touch up paint you will never be able to match touched up areas in both artificial AND natural light.

From a crass commercial perspective, anything more than repacking the bearings is a waste of time money and effort. Rebuilt it is a 75.00 bike in most markets. A nice bike, but not a valuable one.

From a crass commercial perspective, anything more than repacking the bearings is a waste of time money and effort. Rebuilt it is a 75.00 bike in most markets. A nice bike, but not a valuable one.

...yeah, I'm starting to see as such. "slowride", I think I"ll follow your advice this spring and go with the natural-aged vintage appeal look. I seriously would like to redo the chain guard though and find that graphic...

T.I. did own Hercules but I think your bike pre dates when T.I. bought Raleigh. Hercules hubs were Sturmey clones(shells will interchange) but had much stronger gears. Use some past wax shoe polish on it. Auto touch up paint maybe but you'll never get it to match. And your Heru. may be 10/10 steel but it's a better bikes than most I've seen, better lug work.

T.I. did own Hercules but I think your bike pre dates when T.I. bought Raleigh. Hercules hubs were Sturmey clones(shells will interchange) but had much stronger gears. ... And your Heru. may be 10/10 steel but it's a better bike than most I've seen, better lug work.
The more I get into this, the more I'm really glad I bought this!
Appreciate ALL the advice gang! Doug

Back