When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on German WW2 Truppenfahrrad restoration

-
Adrian,
You have summed up a life lesson very eloquently. Study and research first before spending. đź‘Ť

Oliver,
Welcome to the CABE. I do my best research here. It's a great source of information. As a side note,
I had a chance to buy "... an authentic WW2 German Bicycle." I researched the bike here on the CABE
and decided it was not a war bike, but a tribute with German parts. I passed. Still think about it though.
Ah, what could have been. No matter what, have fun. After all, it's a bike and bikes are fun.
Hi DaGasMan,

I appreciate your story/lesson, perhaps I got a bit too carried away with the excitement of owning a Wehrmacht bicycle but like you say research is key and you need to be certain of what you're getting. Hopefully I'll be back soon here with another bike that's more authentic and promising đź‘Ť
Like you say, bikes are fun indeed

Thanks again,
Oliver

Hi Oliver

Im glad you walked away from that bike ,we have all been there when the passion takes over and blinds us. If its ok with you i will post a few pics of what you need to lookout for ,the troop bikes were all 28" wheeled bikes 56cm frame detachable express handlebars.

🙄 Hi Oliver
Had to post the last lot before i lost it . Few Pointers note the crank ,thats the type you need on the bike, the shape of the wheels 28" and a good indicator of the bike been pre 1943 is the small wheel on the right side of the head tube.

Hello Oliver;
Are you sure it's a german bike?
I'd lean for a french bike, you would only have the PALLAS type luggage rack.
Regards;
Serge

Hello Oliver;
I simply wrote that i was leaning towards a French bike so as not to be too direct, but for me, it was 100% French.
@leo healy has a nice collection of truppenfahrrads and in my opinion a very good help for your research on the subjet.
On the German side, i only collect small equipements and small vehicules (bicycles, motorcycles and IF8 infantry trailers). the uniform does not interest me.
Here is my truppenfahrrad VICTORIA 1938 ( dated left side on the frame) with its original mounted VICTORIA rear hub and an first model WUK 39 box.

My klappfahrrad BRENNABOR from 1942 undated found in Rennes FRANCE ( 5 FALLSCHIRMJĂ„GER-DIV May -June1944).
I have almost finished finding the missing parts, only the EXPRESS Werke handlebars remain.

There is also the great book of my friend Peter Verhoeven (personal collection at the museem of Overloon NL).

Regards;
Serge

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice on a potential truppenfahrrad restoration I’ve found. I’m considering buying it as a restoration project and make it the first big item in my growing militaria collection with the intention of taking it to military fairs and events I regularly attend.
I’ve had advice on it’s condition and potential for restoration from an uncle who has experience restoring bikes/motorcycles and he advised me to seek another second opinion on how difficult it might be to restore. My main concern is that although the main frame is not too bad shape, the mud guards are looking quite rusted and may need very delicate work to preserve them. My other concern is spare parts I’d need to acquire and where I’d get them from, because although things like mounting brackets, handlebars and tires can be sourced without too much difficulty, if I needed to buy say another mud flap/wheel arch that may be quite tricky.

Guess my question would be does the condition look good enough to restore and are there any areas of the bike that may need to be replaced from what can be discerned from the photos I’ve got of it from a dealers website? And if I do need to replace some parts would it be at very least possible to do so and any useful websites/forum groups where I might have the best chance to acquire either original or replica parts?
I’m very willing to put lots of effort into this and money is not an issue, I’m buying it partly as a passion project to learn skills from I may need in years to come and I’m not bothered at all if it costs more than what the bikes worth to restore, I’d just be dead happy to own a truppenfahrrad regardless. I’ve also got several people willing to help me to make sure I do a good job of this and don’t make mistakes/errors that degrade its historical value (I.e not over-restore it which I’m conscious of avoiding). I just want to make sure this isn’t too much to take on and isn’t something that I’ll end up getting stuck half way through due to parts scarcity.

Thank you very much in advance for any help/advice on this restoration, I really appreciate and I’m grateful enough to know that enthusiast groups for these kind of military “vehicles” exist!!

Look forward to replying,
Oliver

View attachment 1658299

View attachment 1658300

View attachment 1658301

View attachment 1658302

View attachment 1658303

View attachment 1658304
The chainring pattern is like one the Wehrmacht used as is the PALLAS rear rack and twisted bracket off of the seat post. Most of the bicycles made to military specs had a quick release and detachable handle bars and a front "push down" brake like the Swiss Military bicycles. However some of my reference photos do not show that. There are a number of books that may help you. To get you started you might consider, "The Troop Bicycle of the German Wehrmarcht" by Paul Louis Johnson & John Fuller Ryan. I found my Truppenfahrrad in St Mere Eglise. The France dealer had bought it from a dealer in California, USA. I bought it and had it shipped back to USA, Texas. Cheers.

166417950_4057567614261575_802595102313373790_n.jpg

504.JPG

507.JPG

Having owned many Truppenfahrrads, I also feel this is a French bicycle with a Pallas rack, the German bicycles did not use a cotter pin for the cranks, but a splined axle, with corresponding pedal arms, there were a couple main manufacturers before and during the war, a good thing to check is always if the box will fit in the frame, you need a tall headstock. The rear hubs are always dated.

Hope this helps,

Lex

DSCN2792.JPG

DSCN2795.JPG

DSCN2788.JPG

The "small wheel" is a fork lock- a metal band tightens around the steering tube to lock the fork for leaning up against something without turning the wheel and falling down. It's a handy gadget! In German, one term is bandfesteller- I can't remember the other one. I'd like to put one on any bike I ride and have been looking for something similar that I could adapt.
bandfesteller1.jpg

Back