When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on how/where to sell bikes from father...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

IslandBB

On Training Wheels
Hello:
New user here and new to antique bikes. My father was a collector of antique bikes and enjoyed riding pretty much all of them and restoring what he could. He was in a one-bedroom apartment, so he was trying to sell some and reduce his collection. Unfortunately, he passed away and I have inherited his collection. I did help him sell some bikes by listing on craigslist when he was alive. Since his passing, I have listed 2x on craigslist and find it can be tedious (multiple questions- I'm not an expert and promises to meet up never materializing).

First question I guess, aside from this forum, where is best place to sell?

Next, how do I come up with a fair price? My father did give me an idea of what he would be happy with for most of the bikes, but I want to make sure it's a fair price before offering for sale.

Finally, for Schwinn bikes, is it best to sell in a group? Or individually? There's a Panther, Phantom, American King Size and Hornet and maybe except for the Hornet, they've all been repainted to some extent and certainly have parts that are not original to the bike (Ex: the American King Size has a bike rack that I've seen attributed to a Corvette). I've been able to look up the serial numbers to get a range of years, but I'm out of my depth with the values for somewhat restored bikes.

Thank you so much for your help everyone. My hope is to both sell to someone that will treasure and to get a fair price. Some photos of the Schwinn's below- I'll start with these. Thanks again!

1657499141817.png
1657499175332.png

1657499211312.png

1657499225456.png

1657499289124.png

CL is always a crap shoot. I’m guessing you’ve never shipped a bike either which may limit you to local pickup. I wouldn’t call any of the bikes you posted “restored” but rather reconditioned. A lot of repo and incorrect parts on these which can make a sale challenging. Other than this site either FB Marketplace or eBay. Good luck!

You may want to find a knowledgeable Cabe member in your area and work out a deal on one for help sell of the others, ah after he helps you sell the others!

CL is always a crap shoot. I’m guessing you’ve never shipped a bike either which may limit you to local pickup. I wouldn’t call any of the bikes you posted “restored” but rather reconditioned. A lot of repo and incorrect parts on these which can make a sale challenging. Other than this site either FB Marketplace or eBay. Good luck!
Thank you so much Freqman1 for the correct terminology- "reconditioned." And thanks for suggesting FB Marketplace (I'm a millenial that actually doesn't really participate in FB so hadn't thought of it) and eBay. I don't ship, but you're right- I can just do local pick-up if I decide to do eBay.
Whatever venue you use, it's better to sell individual pieces verses multiple pieces together. Unless you're dumping them dirt cheap for someone else to profit from a resale.
Thanks GTs58. Honestly, my father had these bikes for years and I think while I would like to sell them quickly, I'd also want them to be valued, so I can take my time and just do them one at a time.
welcome to the cabe and good luck with your bike sales !

Welcome! Good advice above. I hope you are able to sell them in what ever fashion that works for you.

Welcome. Good advice so far. Have fun, keep a few to ride!

You may want to find a knowledgeable Cabe member in your area and work out a deal on one for help sell of the others, ah after he helps you sell the others!

Welcom, and sorry about your Dad. ☹️ Good luck with the sales. I’d agree the auction is the way to go.
Thank you all. These are some terrific ideas. Appreciate everyone's input.

Back