When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on how/where to sell bikes from father...

-
There is an auction house in NY that has an antique bicycle auction every year. That might be your best way to go. Drop them off, and they take care of the rest and mail you a check.

catfish- Thank you for the suggestion! Hadn't thought of this and seems like a great way to go. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I’d advise to pump the brakes … gently clean… hold and really think about next steps! And keep some. Maybe keep them all…There is value there..and cool factor! But..the real value is riding them!

I agree with bill think about keeping atleast a pair one boys and one girls bike just to take a stroll on even once a year and remember you’re dad
Hey! Thank you! Absolutely going to keep one. I didn't post a photo, but it's a Fastback and an eye-catcher because of the high-back seat my father put on it and spare set of ram horn handlebars. I'm definitely going to think things through. Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
Hello:
New user here and new to antique bikes. My father was a collector of antique bikes and enjoyed riding pretty much all of them and restoring what he could. He was in a one-bedroom apartment, so he was trying to sell some and reduce his collection. Unfortunately, he passed away and I have inherited his collection. I did help him sell some bikes by listing on craigslist when he was alive. Since his passing, I have listed 2x on craigslist and find it can be tedious (multiple questions- I'm not an expert and promises to meet up never materializing).

First question I guess, aside from this forum, where is best place to sell?

Next, how do I come up with a fair price? My father did give me an idea of what he would be happy with for most of the bikes, but I want to make sure it's a fair price before offering for sale.

Finally, for Schwinn bikes, is it best to sell in a group? Or individually? There's a Panther, Phantom, American King Size and Hornet and maybe except for the Hornet, they've all been repainted to some extent and certainly have parts that are not original to the bike (Ex: the American King Size has a bike rack that I've seen attributed to a Corvette). I've been able to look up the serial numbers to get a range of years, but I'm out of my depth with the values for somewhat restored bikes.

Thank you so much for your help everyone. My hope is to both sell to someone that will treasure and to get a fair price. Some photos of the Schwinn's below- I'll start with these. Thanks again!

View attachment 1660159View attachment 1660160

View attachment 1660163
View attachment 1660164

View attachment 1660166
Did these bikes get sold? A few members would be interested in that KS American. Good luck

Back