When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on removing dent from the tank of a vintage Schwinn Jaguar..thanks!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I remember seeing a video somewhere, maybe Youtube, guy was hammering sheet metal supported on a sand bag. People post all kinds of how-to videos on YouTube.

Harbor freight sells a small hand size leather shot filled bag that is perfect if you can get to both sides of the dent. If it's just a soft dent and not a crease in the tin, hammer and dolly work is much easier on vintage sheet metal it will usually return to it's original shape.

I am restoring this '59 Schwinn Jaguar and am thinking that using a soft rubber hammer over a block of Styofoam will be the best way to improve the appearance..ideas? http://i.imgur.com/3wDU2FT.jpg

Here's how I did it on a fender. 1st picture the offending dent.

IMG_1184.JPG

Next picture is the same dent but the surface has been cleaned a bit and it is from the other direction, this dent is almost a crease.

IMG_1185.JPG

Trusty homemade wooden mallet and the shot filled leather bag from Harbor Freight, and after a couple of well aimed smacks. A picture of the little bike the fender goes on.

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

Back