When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on removing dent from the tank of a vintage Schwinn Jaguar..thanks!

-
I remember seeing a video somewhere, maybe Youtube, guy was hammering sheet metal supported on a sand bag. People post all kinds of how-to videos on YouTube.

Harbor freight sells a small hand size leather shot filled bag that is perfect if you can get to both sides of the dent. If it's just a soft dent and not a crease in the tin, hammer and dolly work is much easier on vintage sheet metal it will usually return to it's original shape.

I am restoring this '59 Schwinn Jaguar and am thinking that using a soft rubber hammer over a block of Styofoam will be the best way to improve the appearance..ideas? http://i.imgur.com/3wDU2FT.jpg

Here's how I did it on a fender. 1st picture the offending dent.

IMG_1184.JPG

Next picture is the same dent but the surface has been cleaned a bit and it is from the other direction, this dent is almost a crease.

IMG_1185.JPG

Trusty homemade wooden mallet and the shot filled leather bag from Harbor Freight, and after a couple of well aimed smacks. A picture of the little bike the fender goes on.

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

Back