When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on Selling Stuff

• Thread starter Deleted member 72895
  • Start date
#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

Deleted member 72895

I am at time in my life that I REALLY want to pare down and start actively selling A LOT of my "stuff"!

So regarding my bicycle stuff...

I live on the Central Coast of California (half way between "Hell-A" and the bay area) and don't particularly want to package/ship or have "$$$ wired into my account".

* What is the best/ personable way to "work" with a buyer?

* How much more is a "west coast" collector willing to spend (percentage %)?

* I have several items that are in "original condition" (40's ~50's) and... Need re-plating! Do I re-plate (100% top shelf), or sell as is?

* Do you think I should even try to sell the hand full of 40's Schwinn high flange hubs that I modified with custom axles and sealed bearings... Or would that be "blasphemy"?

voodoo.jpg

It's blasforme. I feel the Schwinn hub when properly maintained would provide all it was designed for.. Stock hubs or high end units.. Lots of value if parts are unmolested. , Honest descriptions. A disclaimer; what you see is what you get . If I have left anything out- let some one else add..

Thanks BuickMike!

Regarding the hubs... I kind of have to agree with you. I modified the hubs 20+ years ago and did a really good job... but would never want someone buying them not to know EXACTLY what they were (the "guts" were made by Cook Bros. Racing)!

Honest descriptions, yes! Lots of photos, yes! Disclaimer, yes!

But what "media"? Cabe? Ebay? Craig's list?... I don't do Facebook!

All of your advice is GREATLY appreciated!

nothing wrong with high flange hubs and modern bearings.... don' think I would like a quick release unless I had a roof top bike rack to put it on.

are the hubs themselves modified?

if you don't even want to ship shippable parts that would cut the potential buyers by 75%

most bike parts are not worth more than what it would cost to plate them and a great many people have no interest in replated parts

I guess I'd be ok with shipping parts. I prefer doing a sale in person and getting cash ( to "fatten up" my emergency fund).

Regarding the hubs, I will be selling a pair of Schwinn high flange drum brake hubs. They are currently on my Town & Country tandem and plan to un-lacing them right after I finish this post.

The only modification to the front hub is the axle swap. It is bolt-on ( not quick release). The rear had the ratchet guts removed, then a threaded spacer (for free wheels) was pressed & TIG welded to the inside of the hub body so the hub could take modern cog sets or single freewheels... Then sealed bearings were pressed in holding Chromoly axles.

I'll post up some pictures hopefully by the end of the day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubs, no pictures yet... They need a bit more "loving" before being presented to the world.

Torrington half moon bars 26.5" wide(stamped with the logo)... What is the "going price"?

" I'll post up some pictures hopefully by the end of the day!"

Well so much for that! Stripping the wheels and giving the hub the love they needed took A LOT more time and energy!

Putting the frame on Craig's list. No problem ! (and no interested parties. LOL 🤣)

Now the problem is... The hubs came out so nice, I am going to keep them and build a framest for them!

T_hubs1.JPG

T_hubs2.JPG

Instagram is also a good marketplace in my experience, I buy stuff from all over the world on there, but obviously there's a strong element of trust/belief involved.

Back